The scientist behind the Oxford/AstraZeneca coronavirus jab has been awarded a medal previously won by Winston Churchill. Professor Sarah Gilbert has been given the Royal Society for Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA) Albert Medal for her work on the vaccine. Prof Gilbert, who is lead researcher on the team, is Professor of Vaccinology in the Nuffield Department of Medicine at Oxford University. The RSA Albert Medal is awarded annually to recognise experts spearheading the solutions to "the challenges of our time". Churchill scooped the gong in 1945 for leading the Allies to victory in the Second World War. Other past winners include Marie Curie for the discovery of radium; Alexander Graham Bell for inventing the telephone; Stephen Hawking for boosting awareness of physics; and Tim Berners-Lee for creating the World Wide Web. Prof Gilbert said: "It is a great honour to receive this award. "The creation and the development of the Oxford Covid-19 vaccine came after I had worked in this field for many years, learning how to move quickly from a concept to a licensed vaccine, which involves numerous steps along the way. "With a great team at Oxford we developed a 'vaccine for the world' which is now… Read full this story
- Royal Tour: Prince William gives warning to world in climate change plea
- Why Watson's Little Albert Became the Most Distorted Study in the History of Psychology
- Our top scientists and the discovery that could revolutionise cancer, eczema treatment
- The Story of the Discoverer of Penicillin
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES OCTOBER 16
- What's the Best Medicine?
- A Distinctive and Distinguished Literary Profile - Paving Toni Morrison's Way in American Letters
- Eco-warrior Greta Thunberg and athletics hero Dina Asher-Smith lead the BBC's list of 100 most inspiring and influential women of 2019 - but Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle both fail to make the cut
- Who Are Some Famous Ellis Island Immigrants?
- A Government's History That's Less Than Credible Regarding Swine Flu
Scientist behind coronavirus vaccine given top medal named after Prince Albert have 321 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.