The world has watched The Queen and Prince Philip’s relationship continue to grow stronger and stronger over the years since they were married at Westminster Abbey in November 1947. But do you know how it all began? Their romance officially began when the Queen was 17 and Philip was 22, but the pair actually met several years earlier. Aged 13, the then Princess Elizabeth joined her father King George VI, the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret during a trip to Dartmouth Britannia Royal Naval College, where Philip was training. And it was by pure chance that they ended up meeting – and it was all down to a nasty outbreak of mumps and chickenpox. According to the Queen’s former governess Marion Crawford, Philip was one of the few cadets who wasn’t taken ill so was invited to meet them. He is said to have suggested they go down to the tennis courts, where he showed off by jumping over the nets. In her book The Little Princesses, Marion claims the Queen was particularly taken by him and said: “How high he can jump!” Later that evening Philip was invited to join the family for dinner on the King’s yacht. Marion… Read full this story
- Palace Denies Charles and William Snubbed Trump Because They Were Never Gonna Meet in the First Place
- Royal wedding 2018 countdown: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are marrying tomorrow
- This Week In Tabloids: Prince Harry's About to Be a Daddy, and Queen Mommy Ain't Happy
- GM Defect Victims Say CEO Barra 'Scripted,' 'Emotionless' In Meeting
- 'They Made it Into a Joke': A Q&A With a Brain-Injured Dominatrix
- Meet the RoboBeast: The world's toughest 3D printer
- Ask Dr. Nerdlove: Her Clingy Guy Friend Won't Leave Us Alone
- London 2012 gets the Paralympics rolling with another spectacular opening ceremony featuring Britain's brave and inspiring athletes
- Prescott urges probe into claims jobseekers were bussed into capital to work as unpaid stewards during Jubilee pageant and forced to camp at London Bridge
- The Netflix Originals World Cup: which is the greatest show of them all?
Prince Philip won Queen's affection with 'unusual skill' and jokes during first meeting have 336 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.