The proposed 1% pay rise for NHS staff is a “slap in the face” and large numbers of nurses could quit after the pandemic, a union has warned as pressure grows on the government over the row. The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) said the 1% offer had reinforced some of their members’ belief “that they are not valued by either the government or perhaps some of the public”. NHS Providers, which represents NHS trusts in England, said a long-term plan set out by the government assumed a pay rise of more than 2% for healthcare workers in 2021/22, claiming it was “enshrined in law”. And in a sign that a Conservative rebellion may be brewing, a former Tory health minister said it was the “wrong time” to be restraining the pay of NHS workers who have gone “above and beyond” during the pandemic. Follow live COVID-19 updates from the UK and around the world Advertisement As tensions have risen, the RCN has set up a £35m industrial action fund – threatening to take strike action – while another union has urged the public to support a slow hand clap next week mocking the proposals. Patricia Marquis, the RCN’s South… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson's 10-year plan: PM vows to 'take Britain forward' as he unveils Queen's Speech to enshrine £34bn NHS funding bonanza in law, boost police powers and tighten borders
- Now Exeter students are put into 'soft lockdown' as government insists freshers WILL be allowed home for Christmas after campus lockdowns sweep UK universities
- ‘I slapped her but I’m not sorry’: JK Rowling's ex-husband says there was 'no domestic or sexual violence' in their marriage but ADMITS he did 'slap' her - as he breaks silence over her revelations amid 'transphobia' row
- Covid-19 has killed 100,000 people in the UK. Experts say the government is still getting it wrong
- NHS will take MONTHS to return to normal after Covid pandemic because 'exhausted and traumatised' staff need a break, health boss warns
- Change your own bed sheets and meals dropped by your door: Best Western chief reveals grim Covid protocols faced by travellers forced to quarantine in airport hotels for up to £1,500
- Daniel Pearl murder: Pak SC orders removal of main accused from death row cell
- Indian nurses head to Gulf for lucrative Covid vaccination stints
- Now ministers and scientists say all OVER-50s must get vaccines before lockdown begins 'significantly' to ease and shops, restaurants and pubs can reopen but refuse to give a target date as Tory anger mounts over 'goalpost-shifting'
- Battle royale on lockdown as Boris faces Tory demands to drop ALL curbs by MAY when over-50s are vaccinated - but Prof Lockdown's modelling team warns even a slower easing means 130,000 more deaths and the NHS could be swamped again
NHS pay row: 'Large numbers' of nurses could quit after 'slap in the face' offer as pressure mounts on government have 454 words, post on news.sky.com at March 6, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.