WHEN Trista Hamsmith’s daughter Reese started wheezing last October, the mum assumed she was suffering from a particularly nasty cough – nothing more. Just to be on the safe side, Trista, from Texas, took her 17-month-old daughter to the paediatrician who said the normally bubbly toddler probably had a bad cold. Shortly after the family returned home, the mum noticed that the battery in their remote control was missing and her heart dropped. Speaking to TODAY Parents , the mum explained how she raced Reese to the emergency room. It was there that doctors discovered Reese had swallowed the small button battery which had burnt a hole in her oesophagus. She said: “They did an X-ray and confirmed that it was in there and they did emergency surgery to remove the battery.” Not only are button batteries a choking hazard, they can also cause a lethal chemical reaction inside the body. They react with saliva causing a build up of caustic soda which eats through flesh like acid as soon as they are swallowed. In late October, Reese underwent emergency surgery to remove the battery and returned home after a short stay in hospital. But while Trista had hoped that… Read full this story
- Mum-of-two demands Education Sec Gavin Williamson makes sure kids never miss a lesson again
- 'My little gifts from heaven... born three years after their daddy died': Widow tells how she gave birth to IVF twins conceived with her late husband's sperm after he died from throat cancer
- Hospital baby deaths: Health chiefs raised fears SEVEN years ago... but failed to intervene to prevent further tragedy, records show
- Moment woman, 28, tries to get into her neighbor's house to kidnap a nine-month-old baby after leaving her own two children alone in Florida home
- Kamala Harris' rise sends message of hope to young girls of color
- America's Got Talent: Sofia Vergara makes debut as new judge on season 15 of NBC talent show
- BEL MOONEY: My fiance doesn’t want the baby I’m expecting
- How to beat the Headless in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- What happens to my late husband’s digital life now he’s gone?
- Beyonce releases star-studded new music video for her 2019 track Brown Skin Girl featuring her daughter Blue Ivy Carter, eight
My baby girl died after a button battery burned through her throat – now I want to make sure it never happens again have 368 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at March 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.