A MUM was left fuming after her daughter’s nursery changed her name because they said it was "too hard" to pronounce. Mahinarangi Tautu, five, had just started going when her mum Paris was told staff would call her "Rangi" instead, News.com.au reports. The name is traditional of their Ngāti Raukawa heritage, a Maori tribe from the central region of the North Island of New Zealand Because of this the New Zealand woman said she "will not let this happen" as it doesn't respect and honour her daughter's Māori heritage. "I am sad that in 2021, in Aotearoa, a 5-year-old girl has lost the pride that comes with her beautiful name," the woman wrote in a Facebook post, The NZ Herald reports. She explained Mahinarangi's name is often mispronounced and mocked by her peers, leaving the young girl "embarrassed" and lacking the confidence to correct anyone. "Can you imagine your child being too embarrassed to say their name because people won't make a decent effort to pronounce it properly?" she said. "It made me so angry, especially because they'd use te ao Māori resources in her classes." The outraged mother has since spoken out, saying her ancestors had experienced something similar,… Read full this story
- Mum and daughter stabbed to death in the street in Solihull as cops hunt on-the-run killer
- Sympathetic parents say 30 hours of free childcare – but nurseries need more help
- Good luck with a home birth Meghan Markle, it’s seriously hard labour
- Where is Karen Matthews now, why did she kidnap her daughter Shannon and what happened to her other kids?
- Mum horrified at finding son, 4, holding PILLS and threatening to ‘hit himself with a hammer’ after ‘being told to in Momo Challenge’
- Meghan Markle’s dad Thomas says he’s sent his daughter dozens of texts but she never replies
- Mum claims TUI ‘ignored her’ after children vomit blood on dream £6k holiday before ‘armed guards stop them leaving rip-off hospital’
- Rumors of a major shakeup rock a White House that's mum
- Girl, 14, raped and murdered in park after ‘stepdad DNA found on pants’ was knocked out so hard by hammer her teeth fell out
- Baby girl, 1, dies after being left in sweltering hot car all day in 31C weather by adoptive dad who ‘forgot about her’
Mum fumes after daughter’s nursery changed her name because it was ‘too hard to pronounce’ have 404 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at March 20, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.