MORRISONS has moved to secure future fish and seafood supplies — by buying its own trawler. Amid concerns over ongoing wrangling with the EU, the supermarket chain acquired Falfish, a family-owned seafood wholesaler. And the Cornish firm's 30ft trawler, the Jacqui A, is part of the deal. Morrisons becomes the first supermarket to own its own fishing boat — and more than 80 per cent of fish and shellfish will now come from its own seafood operations. The chain is known for its farm-to-plate policy, owning more livestock, processing plants and food factories than rivals. Recent large UK tariffs on fish caught around Greenland have seen prices soar. Andrew Thornber, of Morrisons, said: "The move will help secure the supply of fish and shellfish into Morrisons stores and online. “Bringing Falfish into Morrisons further strengthens our position as Britain's biggest food-maker." Most read in Money LIGHT UP B&M’s new bargain outdoor range includes fire pits and log burners MOTHER’S LOVE Morrisons is selling a £20 Mother’s Day breakfast in bed box BUY BUY Budget 2021 mortgage guarantee scheme: how much deposit you’ll need to buy a house EXTRA HELP Universal Credit claimants urged to claim council tax discounts ‘straight away’… Read full this story
- SEC Sends a Stern Reminder That It Is Serious About Punishing “Spoofing” and “Layering” Schemes in the Securities Markets
- Brexit: Irish border traders concern for future as deal looms
- With biodefense lab two-thirds built, Kansas officials back Trump plan for its future
- Economic Watch: World exporters innovate to feed China's growing appetite for seafood
- Can Supply Chains Be Completely Transparent?
- Another California Dismissal of Proposed Class Action Regarding Disclosure of Forced Labor in Supply Chain
- Tom Cotton Advised Trump to Buy Greenland Months Ago
- Why We’ll Take Longer Baths in the Future
- Back To The Future: This Plummeting Oil & Gas Market Is Unlike Any Prior Crisis
- U.S. Supreme Court Issues Two Important Securities-Law Opinions
Morrisons buys trawler to secures future fish and seafood supplies have 320 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at March 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.