A missing man was tracked down thanks to movie-style detective work when police spotted a hidden message on an old Christmas card. Officers thought they had exhausted all options after the 67-year-old man was reported missing last month. Extensive enquiries suggested the man, from Crook, County Durham, was heading to the Northumberland area. But with no mobile phone or location, hopes to find the man had started to fade, Chronicle Live reports. In a bid to ensure nothing was missed, PC Bruno Lee and PC Martin Coates decided to recheck the man's mail where they uncovered the vital clue. Officers spotted the Christmas card and on holding it up to the light, saw a shimmer of what appeared to be the faint imprint of a word and a phone number. It appeared somebody had been resting on the card while writing a note, leaving an indent on the card beneath. From the hidden message, officers were able to make out a phone number in the Alnwick area. The team carried out further checks to find an address, which ultimately led them to the missing man. Sign up to our newsletter to get the day’s biggest news straight to your inbox… Read full this story
- Harrowing moment Madeleine McCann's mum Kate realised her daughter was missing
- The locked car, missing drone and burnt campsite: Detectives reveal their three theories about what happened to missing elderly campers who were in a secret relationship
- Riot police 'robustly and swiftly' shut down illegal rave attended by hundreds in north London's Finsbury Park and are pelted with a barrage of bricks and bottles
- How Russell Hill, Carol Clay, Niels Becker and Conrad Whitlock went missing in Victoria’s High Country
- How Russell Hill, Carol Clay, Niels Becker and Conrad Whitlock went missing in Victoria's High Country
- Portuguese police will search another TWENTY wells for the body of missing Madeleine McCann over fears prime suspect Christian Brueckner dumped her in disused shaft on Algarve coast
- Dutch Police Discover Kidnap, Torture Chamber in Hidden Shipping Containers
- Portuguese police 'launch hunt for Madeleine McCann's body as they search wells eight miles from Algarve resort where she vanished' after finding 'fundamental evidence' to prove Christian Brueckner IS responsible
- NYC maintenance worker discovers man's body stuffed in a plastic bag and hidden under a U-Haul blanket on McDonald's rooftop
- Police release final moments of girl, 8, before she was 'raped and killed by couple'
Missing man tracked down by police thanks to hidden message on Christmas card have 397 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.