BBC journalist Martin Bashir will not face a criminal investigation over documents related to his interview with Princess Diana, the Metropolitan Police says. It had been alleged the journalist forged bank statements in order to secure the landmark Panorama interview with the Princess of Wales in 1995. But in a statement, the Met said officers had sought legal advice from internal lawyers, independent counsel and the Crown Prosecution Service and determined it was “not appropriate” to launch a criminal probe. The documents were alleged to have been used to falsely show payments were made to members of royal staff in exchange for information about the princess. Diana’s younger brother Earl Spencer has said he was shown the documents and went on to connect his sister with Bashir – something the earl says he would not have done had he not been misled. Advertisement Alan Waller, who used to work for Earl Spencer as head of security, claims he was the subject of the false documents so made a formal complaint to the force. Met Police commander Alex Murray said the allegations had been “carefully assessed by specialist detectives”. More from Metropolitan Police Drekwon Patterson: Police appeal after teenager driven at… Read full this story
- Durham's investigation into possible FBI misconduct is now criminal probe, sources say
- British Police Says it Lacks ‘Appropriate Authority’ to Investigate Prince Andrew
- What’s next in the criminal probe of Harvey Weinstein
- Tiffany Haddish Says an Actress
- Royal fans spot famous Princess Diana quote in season 3 of The Crown
- Controversial Police Encounters Fast Facts
- London police speaking with FBI amid investigation into Jeffrey Epstein
- Death of Dutch model who fell naked from Malaysian apartment after threesome with US couple is treated as MURDER by local police after legal challenge by victim's family
- Dramatic moment cop body slams man and knocks him unconscious after he 'licked the officer's face and spat in his eye'
- Police File Homicide Charges Against 2 Men In 2003 Parking Garage Shooting
Martin Bashir's Diana interview won't face criminal investigation, police say have 318 words, post on news.sky.com at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.