ROME — The Vatican extinguished the lights of the dome and the facade of St. Peter's Basilica for an hour on Saturday night in commemoration of "Earth Hour 2021." From 8:30pm to 9:30pm the iconic basilica was darkened as a symbolic gesture against climate change, joining monuments of cities across the globe that turned off their lights as well. Vatican News reported that the act was performed "to demonstrate the serious global climate crisis." Earth Hour is an initiative launched by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) in 2007 to call attention to the gravity of the "climate crisis" by symbolically abstaining from the use of energy for an hour. It began in Sydney, Australia, but quickly spread all over the globe and now each year more than 10,000 landmarks and monuments switch off their lights. Vatican News noted that Earth Hour is billed as the "largest global mobilisation against climate change" and is intended to "unite citizens, institutions and businesses in a common desire to give the world a sustainable future and to overcome the challenge of climate change." According to Earth Hour official propaganda , millions of people in more than 180 countries and territories take part in the… Read full this story
- Climate Change and the End of Australia
- Climate change could slow down hurricanes by two miles per hour, resulting in areas being hit longer with strong winds and heavy rains, experts warn
- Alejandro Agag: Why sport must change ways and look long-term on climate change
- Hurricane Dorian's sharpie-pen path, calling climate change a Chinese hoax and cancer-causing windmills: Trump's disinfectant shambles is not his first head-on collision with mainstream science
- Polarstern sets records on Arctic climate mission
- Al Gore: Climate of Denial
- ‘A Bomb in the Center of the Climate Movement’: Michael Moore Damages Our Most Important Goal
- Hackathons: An inclusive way to tackle the climate crisis?
- Healing the ozone layer: A ray of hope for planet Earth?
- New this week: Beastie Boys doc, Earth Day shows, ‘Fleabag’
Lights Out: Vatican Observes ‘Earth Hour’ of Darkness Against Climate Change have 332 words, post on www.breitbart.com at March 28, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.