Gary Oldman has shared the “hell” of his two decades as an alcoholic. The Oscar-winner has been sober for 24 years, but vividly recalls what life used to be like when he drank to excess. He told the LA Times : “I used to sweat vodka. It becomes such a part of you. “My tongue would be black in the morning. I blamed it on the shampoo. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, to be in the grip of it. It's hell.” Oldman developed what he calls a self-effacing humour to “mask the inadequacy”, and used to joke about his heavy drinking. The father-of-three recalls: “I would sit down and tell the waiter, 'I'll have a large vodka tonic. And can you bring it now because I'm an alcoholic. I need it quicker.'" Even during his worst years, the London-born California-based star still managed to memorise his lines and work, making him seem functioning. But after two decades of alcoholism, and two rehab stays, the Darkest Hours star stopped “romanticising” his addiction. Oldman, 62, draws on this experience in his latest role in Netflix movie Mank. In the film by David Fincher he plays writer Herman Mankiewicz, who… Read full this story
- Excessive Sweating & Body Odor
- Dad-of-two, 37, drank 200 bottles of wine in two weeks at peak of booze and drugs battle that left him on the streets - but he's now turned his life around and is a Thai boxing champ
- Do You Have Embarrassing Armpit Sweating?
- To Have - And Never Have Had (Part II of II)
- Am I Drinking Too Much?
- POLITICO Playbook: Oversight Chairman Elijah Cummings dies
- The Dunkirk spirit: how cinema is shaping Britain’s identity in the Brexit era
- The Human Cost Of
- Pre Menopause Symptoms - 12 Common Effects of Low Estrogen and High Estrogen Levels
- Giving Your Addiction To God - The Secret To Finding True Peace
Gary Oldman's tongue turned black and he'd 'sweat vodka' at height of alcoholism battle have 318 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 3, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.