Exhausted and demoralised NHS workers are being forced to take on side jobs as delivery drivers or turn to food banks as they struggle to get by on their current pay. Frontline workers have slammed the Government’s proposed pitiful 1% pay rise as “absolutely disgusting” and “insulting”, saying they would take home an extra £3.50 or less per week. For some that barely covers the cost of getting to and from work in a single day. NHS workers have told the Mirror they are prepared to go on strike as this offer is the latest slap in the face after a decade of austerity that saw them fall behind and a coronavirus pandemic in which they continue to risk their lives. One mental health nurse has been forced to take a part-time Amazon gig, delivering parcels when he should be recuperating or spending time with family Are you an NHS worker? Email us on [email protected] An NHS colleague, referring to the 850-plus healthcare workers who have died during the pandemic, said: “The Government clearly didn't value our lives and they don't value us alive, either.” They have shared their harrowing pandemic stories, from seeing patients die on overwhelmed wards to… Read full this story
- ‘The NHS is paying me buttons. I can’t cope’
- 'Disgusting' state of hospital as images show 'filthy' floors and 'hole in wall'
- NHS staffing shortage means more than 1,100 people with bowel cancer in England are being diagnosed too late each year
- Now killer virus reaches Europe: Hunt is on in UK for 2,000 people who flew in from Wuhan in last two weeks as France declares three cases and first British patient to be tested reveals treatment in 'spaceman suits'
- Adelaide Oval's food and drink prices set to rise as authority looks to offset low attendance
- Fury as Health Secretary Matt Hancock urges the 1,500 people in Britain who have returned from coronavirus-hit Wuhan in last 14 days to 'self-isolate and call NHS 111'
- Jeremy Corbyn's hard-Left spending splurge is 'simply not credible': IFS ridicules Labour leader's claim he can raise £83BILLION in extra tax to fund 'colossal' giveaways JUST from the rich - warning EVERYONE will have to pay
- Doctors are on standby at Heathrow to meet any sick passengers arriving from China as all 31 patients tested for coronavirus in UK are CLEARED and Border Force hunts 2,000 people who flew in from Wuhan in last two weeks
- The Guardian Weekly is 100: 9/11 to the election of Trump – part 3
- ‘I’d rather spend £300 on fillers than face cream’: the rise of tweakment face
'Exhausted' NHS heroes vent fury at 'absolutely disgusting' £3.50-a-week pay rise have 423 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.