A “culture of misogyny in the criminal justice system” could lead to men getting away with more lenient sentences, the victims’ commissioner and domestic abuse commissioner for England and Wales have said. In a joint letter to Home Secretary Priti Patel, Lord Chancellor Robert Buckland and Attorney General Michael Ellis, the commissioners have called for an independent review for every domestic homicide. They are also urging the government to review murder and manslaughter sentences in domestic abuse cases. In the letter, Domestic Abuse Commissioner Nicole Jacobs and Victims’ Commissioner Dame Vera Baird QC call for “greater recognition of the devastation caused by domestic homicide” and a “programme of work to address deficiencies across the criminal justice system and statutory services”. They write: “We have seen the effects of a culture of misogyny throughout the criminal justice system, to the detriment of women across England and Wales. Advertisement “This is evidenced by falling criminal justice outcomes for crimes that disproportionately affect women, particularly rape.” They add that “this is clearly demonstrated in the response to domestic homicides”. More from UK Meghan and Harry interview latest: Live updates as Duke of Sussex tells Oprah about awkward call with Queen Meghan and Harry… Read full this story
- PC Andrew Harper's widow says she feels 'let down' by justice system after Court of Appeal REFUSES to increase jail terms for his teenage killers as she slams the 'far too lenient' sentences that 'do not reflect the barbarity of the crime'
- PC Harper's wife 'step closer' to justice after calling for life sentence for killer
- Misogyny and 'Manosphere' Spreading To Playgrounds 'and Is a Terror Threat', Author Says
- Dumping Abraham Lincoln? A word of advice to the 'cancel culture'
- Sports world is sidelined indefinitely after CDC warns against crowds of 50 or more over the next two months while the NBA 'eyes a mid-June return' and MLB hopes to be back by mid-May
- PC Andrew Harper’s wife says she’s been ‘let down’ as judge REFUSES to extend smirking teen killers’ ‘soft’ sentences
- Germany: Synagogue attacker sentenced to life in prison
- Iran sentences 3 more men to amputation for 'stealing,' reviving once-rare Islamic law
- Under-18s should not be sent to jail says Children's Commissioner as she calls for 'Scandinavian-style child-focused system' to keep youngsters out of trouble
- ‘Fight Club’s’ Twisted Mastermind: Chuck Palahniuk on God, Men Vs. Women, and ‘Fight Club 2’
'Culture of misogyny' could mean men get more lenient sentences - commissioners warn have 390 words, post on news.sky.com at March 8, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.