Check-in data from hundreds of millions of people who visited pubs, restaurants and hairdressers before lockdown was barely used by Test and Trace, according to a confidential report obtained by Sky News. The report admits that the failure of the £22bn service to use the data for alerts or contact tracing meant “thousands of people” were not warned they might be at risk of infection, “potentially leading to the spread of the virus.” Live COVID updates from the UK and around the world To make matters worse, when coronavirus data from venues was used, public health officials encouraged pubs and restaurants to contact customers directly – a breach of data protection law which could leave businesses facing legal action. The report says that lack of guidance from Test and Trace for local public health teams on how to use the data left businesses “being asked to, or volunteering, to contact customers and visitors”. Advertisement It adds: “This is a breach of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and leaves businesses and venues open to potential legal challenge.” Labour said the revelations exposed “a staggering level of dysfunctionality” inside Test and Trace – and hospitality groups reacted to the news with… Read full this story
- Covid-19: Test, trace, treat in Delhi’s 5T plan
- In Covid-19 testing push, ICMR may collect samples from areas with zero infection
- Fraudulent COVID-19 Test Kits Intercepted by U.S. Officials in Portland
- Coroners worry Covid-19 test shortages could lead to uncounted deaths
- MIT develops Covid-19 contact tracing system inspired by Apple’s ‘Find My’ feature
- When Will We See At-Home COVID-19 Testing?
- Walmart starts temperature checks and Amazon is building its own COVID-19 testing lab as retail workers across America threaten to walk out over risk of getting virus
- Apple Maps gathering information to display COVID-19 testing locations
- Covid-19 Testing 'Abysmally Low' in Bihar, Nitish Govt Hoping 'Fire Will Douse on its Own': Tejashwi
- How false negative results are complicating COVID-19 testing
COVID-19: Test and Trace 'barely used' check-in data from pubs and restaurants - with thousands not warned of infection risk have 317 words, post on news.sky.com at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.