Society will need to learn to live with a “substantial” degree of coronavirus mortality but the worst appears to be over, a government scientific adviser has said. Professor Andrew Hayward, from the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), said the number of deaths will continue to drop as vaccination kicks in. He added death rates could begin to look more like those for flu. Other experts including Professor Paul Hunter, from the University of East Anglia, have said the UK can expect a wave of deaths next winter, mostly among the unvaccinated and those for whom vaccines do not provide total protection. Prof Hayward told Times Radio: “I think given the societal trade-offs, we are going to have to live with a degree of mortality that will be substantial. Advertisement “I think it will get less over time as more people get vaccinated, and as more people get immune, and I do believe that we’ve been through the worst of this.” Prof Hayward said he does not think new variants of COVID-19 will completely evade the protection offered by vaccines. More from Covid-19 COVID-19: Infection rates continue to fall across England with 1 in 220 testing positive outside hospitals Nursing… Read full this story
- Are YOU posh enough to wear a powerband? Half hat, half headband, they're the crowning glory of the society set yet women either love them for covering roots or think they belong on Alice in Toryland
- Administering The Church Through A Perception Of African World View, Culture Of Societies, Religion
- Vanity is Your Best and Worst Fat Loss Exercise Motivator That Pushes the Extreme
- Why is Early Intervention of Great Importance?
- OBC Reservation in India - a Step in the Right Direction
- Why Our Children Carry Guns?
- American Conservatism - A Champion Perseveres With the Power to Stand
- Waiting Room Which You Don't Want to Leave
- Computer Stress - Control ALT Deleting Got You Down?
- Suicide Farming - Part II
COVID-19: Society will have to live with 'substantial' coronavirus mortality but 'worst is over', SAGE expert says have 317 words, post on news.sky.com at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.