A number of great apes have been given an experimental COVID-19 vaccine following an outbreak of the virus at a zoo in California. Four orangutans and five bonobos have each received two doses of a jab developed by Zoetis, a veterinary pharmaceutical company, National Geographic reported. Live COVID updates from the UK and around the world Among those jabbed is Karen, who became the first orangutan in the world to have open-heart surgery in 1994. There have been no adverse reactions to the jabs and the apes are doing well, said San Diego Zoo’s chief conservation and wildlife health officer, Nadine Lamberski. Advertisement Blood taken from Karen and one of the bonobos should soon show whether they are developing antibodies, indicating that the vaccine is working. Ms Lamberski told National Geographic that she decided to go ahead with immunisation despite the vaccine having only previously been tested on cats and dogs. More from Covid-19 COVID-19: Italy and EU block Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine shipment to Australia as shortages row escalates COVID-19: Nearly 21 million people have had first vaccine dose as UK reports another 242 deaths Health secretary ‘more optimistic than ever’ about Britons enjoying staycations this summer COVID-19: More than 40%… Read full this story
- Holiday Tree Lightings, Parades & More 2019: San Diego County
- What does it mean to create new life when one parent is dying?
- Blink-182: The Half-Naked Truth
- Fires, floods and free parking: California's unending fight against climate change
- ICE war crimes unit ramps up efforts at US airports to stop female genital mutilation
- Everything Ends Up as Pornography
- The Life and Death of the ‘Children of God’ Messiah
- MLB Winter Meetings 2019: Eight bold predictions, including a Francisco Lindor trade and two huge signings
- The Deadpool Moment
- The Hidden Story of Harley Quinn and How She Became the Superhero World’s Most Successful Woman
COVID-19: San Diego Zoo's great apes given experimental coronavirus vaccine after becoming infected have 294 words, post on news.sky.com at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.