German health officials have U-turned on the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine and recommended it for use on over-65s. The German health ministry said on Thursday that its independent vaccine committee has now formally approved the COVID-19 jab for use in that age group. It comes after disproved claims in Europe that the jab was as little as 8% effective among the elderly. Live COVID updates from the UK and around the world German health officials have also said that delaying the second dose of the Oxford jab by 12 weeks – as the UK is doing – increases its efficacy. Advertisement Health minister Jens Spahn said the change in position is “good news for older people who are waiting for a vaccination”, adding: “They will get vaccinated faster.” Germany had previously claimed that there was not enough reliable efficacy data to allow the AstraZeneca jab to be used on the over-65s. More from Covid-19 COVID-19: NHS coronavirus app update blocked for breaking privacy rules COVID-19: Top Chinese official admits efficacy of China’s vaccines is low COVID-19: Pubs, hairdressers and non-essential shops reopen as lockdown eases COVID-19: Police ‘deeply regret’ upset caused by shutting down Good Friday church service COVID news live -… Read full this story
- Teen Boys in U.K. Will Be Given HPV Vaccine to Protect From Cancer-Causing Virus
- Germany's Merkel fends off worries about her health
- Osama Bin Laden's Alleged Bodyguard Collecting Welfare Checks in Germany
- Betting Against Brexit, Economists Predict UK U-turn: Poll
- MPLADS Fund : CIC Recommends Legal Framework For Transparency In Fund Utilization [Read Order]
- Influenza Prevention: Child Dies After Flu Diagnosis, Cause Of Death Unconfirmed
- EPA Lowers the Ozone Ambient Air Standard
- Swarm of Hornets Attack a German Wine Festival Sending 13 to Hospital
- A Married Woman and Her Lover Called an Uber to Go to a Hotel. Her Husband was the Driver.
- Flu killed 172 children this season, the highest death toll in nearly a decade
COVID-19: Germany U-turns on Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine and recommends it for over-65s have 311 words, post on news.sky.com at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.