Boris Johnson has hailed the return of schools across England as a “big” and “emotional” day – but warned it will impact on the spread of coronavirus and there is no guarantee the country will reopen on the target dates set out. Speaking at a news conference in Downing Street, the prime minister said that it is “more vital than ever to follow the rules” so that the roadmap to easing lockdown can continue as planned. Mr Johnson said the government would be “driven by data not dates” when deciding whether to remove more restrictions in the coming weeks ahead of the next planned date of 29 March. Follow live COVID-19 updates from the UK and around the world First lockdown restrictions lifted in England today – what are you now allowed to do? Asked whether encouraging data from recent days – including daily deaths dropping below 100 – might tempt him to move forward some of his targets, he said: “We’ve got to remain prudent – the whole point of this roadmap is that it’s intended to be cautious but irreversible. Advertisement “And we think we can do that because of the vaccine rollout. “I think people would really… Read full this story
- Theresa May slaps down Boris Johnson as Michel Barnier accuses UK of 'blame game'
- Theresa May should sack ‘roadblock’ Hammond after explosive Brexit row with Boris furious Tories say
- Think your kid's tech obsession is a problem at home? Look how it affects school
- Kenya: Moi Girls School Re-Opens a Week After Closure Over Rape Claims
- The Oklahoma Eagle Newspaper Editorial: #StayWoke Jack Johnson, TPS and Mental Health
- South Africa: Ennerdale Father, Who 'Accidentally' Shot Son Dead, Released On Warning
- Ford hails Detroit as new ‘city of possibility’; residents hopeful, skeptical
- Canada's warning to TPS holders thinking of crossing the border illegally: Just don't
- New Art School Grad Has Already Landed New Yorker Cover
- Hull Live: Breaking news from Hull and East Yorkshire on June 26
COVID-19: Boris Johnson hails 'emotional' return of schools - but repeats warning on target dates for easing lockdown have 315 words, post on news.sky.com at March 8, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.