A hunt continues for a person in the UK infected with a coronavirus “variant of concern” from Brazil, with the government accused of “unforgivable incompetence” in managing Britain’s borders. The COVID-19 variant, first seen in the city of Manaus, is feared to spread more rapidly than the original virus and could be more capable of evading existing vaccines. Three cases of the P.1 coronavirus variant have been confirmed in England and three in Scotland, Public Health England said. Two of the cases in England come from a household in South Gloucestershire, where one person returned from Brazil in mid-February, before hotel quarantine measures were introduced. Live COVID updates from the UK and around the world Advertisement What we know about the Brazil variant Sara Blackmore, public health director for South Gloucestershire, said increased testing – including asymptomatic testing – and enhanced contact-tracing had been introduced in the local area. However, she said the risk to the local community was judged to be “very low” and that the measures were “precautionary”. More from Covid-19 COVID-19: Wales lockdown to ease slightly with cross-border travel allowed from 12 April COVID-19: Walthamstow vaccine centre inundated after making social media shout-out for people to get… Read full this story
- Covid-19: Boris Johnson listened to his scientists about coronavirus but they were slow to sound the alarm
- Who is telling the truth? Extraordinary row breaks out between Boris Johnson's scientific advisers as they point the fingers at each other over WHEN they sounded the alarm over coronavirus
- Coronavirus | Britain PM Boris Johnson spends second night in intensive care
- Turkey emerges as key player in global COVID-19 fight
- Proud family praise hero NHS nurse who helped save Boris Johnson's life and reveal she is back at work already after keeping 48-hour vigil by the prime minister's ICU bedside as he battled coronavirus
- Coronavirus live updates: California expected to hit peak COVID-19 resource use in a week
- Coronavirus: Boris Johnson 'owes his life to NHS staff'
- Boris Johnson in ‘good spirits’
- Handling of Ruby Princess COVID-19 incident is 'criminal negligence' says Chris Bowen on Q+A, medical department heads buying from Bunnings
- Coronavirus latest: German COVID-19 cases top 100,000
COVID-19: Boris Johnson accused of border 'incompetence' - as hunt continues for mystery person infected with Brazil variant have 350 words, post on news.sky.com at March 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.