THE man wrongly accused of killing Rachel Nickell is reportedly working at a Tesco store years after picking up a £700,000 payout. Colin Stagg was falsely charged with murdering the young mum on Wimbledon Common in the summer of 1992. The former model, 23, was walking with her dog Molly and two-year-old son Alexander when she was attacked and stabbed 49 times. The young child was later found clinging to his mum’s blood-soaked body pleading for her to wake up . Stagg was later the target of a honey trap operation involving a blonde undercover cop tasked with getting him to “confess” to a murder he did not commit. He never admitted to killing Rachel, however, and even though there was no worthwhile evidence against him, police still charged him with her murder. The case was eventually thrown out at the Old Bailey in 1994 by Mr Justice Ognall, who refused to put the undercover officer’s evidence before a jury. He said police had shown “excessive zeal” and had tried to incriminate a suspect by “deceptive conduct of the grossest kind”. However, by that time Stagg, how 57, had spent a year in custody awaiting trial. In 2008, he was… Read full this story
- Policewoman denies assault after ex- Aston Villa star Dalian Atkinson died following 50,000-volt Taser blast as she appears in court with fellow officer accused of his murder
- Tesco defends £635m dividend payout after coronavirus tax break
- EXCLUSIVE: 'I'll never let it go.' Westworld star Louis Herthum - who was 16 when his two sisters were murdered execution-style - tells of his 50-year hunt for their killer and how he's discovered new evidence in an effort to crack the 1972 Miami cold case
- EXCLUSIVE: Moment ex-cop, 64, and son, 34, are arrested and charged with MURDER of black jogger Ahmaud Arbery, 25, two months after his fatal shooting - as family lawyer calls it 'the first step to justice'
- ‘How To Get Away With Murder’ Series Finale: The Verdict Is In As Creator Pete Norwalk Unpacks Final Episode & Weighs In On Possible Spinoff
- 'She shut them down': District Attorney BLOCKED arrests of her 'friend' and his son now charged with 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery's murder, officials claim - as the pair appear in court for the first time and Trump describes shooting as 'very disturbing'
- Haunting last photo of starved nanny Sophie Lionnet two days before she was murdered
- High Treason: Nazi Collaborators Who Found Themselves on the Wrong Side at War’s End
- 'He's working his socks off and this is how he is repaid?' Professor Lockdown's MOTHER-IN-LAW comes to his defence and says she cannot believe he is being vilified 'because he invited a woman into his flat'
- Ruthless killer who stabbed a mother of three to death in her own home during a burglary gone wrong sentenced to LIFE in jail- but still refuses to say why he attacked random women in their homes
Colin Stagg is working at Tesco after £700,000 payout for being wrongly accused of Rachel Nickell’s murder have 472 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at March 6, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.