Here are the key points from Chancellor Rishi Sunak’s budget speech: • Economy expected to return to pre- COVID levels by the middle of next year, six months earlier than previously thought • GDP growth forecast for this year downgraded to 4% (from 5.5%), according to the Office for Budget Responsibility • Unemployment expected to peak at 6.5% • Forecasts show government borrowing reaching £355bn in 2020/21, 17% of the national income – the highest level since the Second World War. For 2021-22 it climbs to £234bn, 10.3% of GDP • Debt is set to peak at 97.1% of GDP in 2023-24 Read our main story on the budget speech – or click or tap here to get all the reaction as it arrives in our dedicated live blog, which will include coverage from 5pm of a news briefing by the chancellor. Not sure what the budget means for you and the country as a whole? Read analysis from our experts here . And a special edition of the Sky News Daily podcast will be available to listen to from 7pm. • An additional £65bn in spending in response to coronavirus takes total fiscal support to £407bn • £1.6bn will… Read full this story
- Chancellor Rishi Sunak 'could underwrite £17,000 of salary for EVERY worker' by waiving income tax or national insurance in massive new coronavirus bailout package to stop millions of workers being laid off
- Chancellor Rishi Sunak unveils £330BILLION coronavirus bailout: Government to offer businesses loans up to £5m, three-month mortgage holidays, and no rates for pubs and restaurants for a YEAR
- Chancellor Rishi Sunak 'saves 800,000 jobs with employer bailout' but experts warn his coronavirus life support will cost billions of pounds each month
- Chancellor Rishi Sunak 'is working on new bailout package for businesses affected by coronavirus'
- Chancellor Rishi Sunak 'could REVERSE UK taxes to subsidise wages' in 'unprecedented' package of measures to weather the coronavirus crisis
- HENRY DEEDES: Pass the Kleenex! Chancellor Rishi Sunak has nitrogen in his blood... but oozes compassion
- Chancellor Rishi Sunak promises wage bailout for workers hardest hit by coronavirus by the end of the week
- Cheers! Rural pub landlords say Chancellor Rishi Sunak's unprecedented coronavirus handout gives them a chance of survival
- Chancellor Rishi Sunak’s blockbuster Budget is just what the doctor ordered to save us from coronavirus chaos
- Coronavirus: Chancellor Rishi Sunak says football clubs eligible for government support
Budget 2021 key points: What was announced in Chancellor Rishi Sunak's speech? have 374 words, post on news.sky.com at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.