The chancellor has vowed to build a “fairer” country in memory of those who have died during the coronavirus pandemic. In an unprecedented Downing Street news conference following his 2021 Budget , Rishi Sunak acknowledged the victims and said financial support will continue long after COVID-19 restrictions end. Budget 2021: All the key points He said: “To the family and friends left behind, your loss – felt most acutely in the quietest of moments – must be overwhelming. “But I promise you we will meet this moment with the passion and energy it demands, and we will build a fairer and more just country in their memory. Our recovery begins today.” He added: “It is going to take us a long time to fully recover from the damage coronavirus has done to our economy.” Advertisement Subscribe to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts , Google Podcasts , Spotify , Spreaker The chancellor earlier unveiled a further £65bn in support for employees and businesses amid the coronavirus pandemic, as part of a three-part plan to “protect jobs and livelihoods of the British people”. More from Budget 2021 Proposed 1% pay rise for NHS staff ‘based on affordability’, says Chancellor Rishi Sunak… Read full this story
- Budget 'to hit motorists hard'
- More than 100 turn out for town hall on GOP tax plan
- Minnesota spent $45.5 billion the past two years. Where did it go? Should we spend more?
- Myths and Numbers
- Boris Johnson's manifesto to abandon the threat of a no-deal Brexit in bid to capture the centre ground as he rules out a Leave Alliance with Nigel Farage and puts the Tories on an election collision course with the Brexit Party
- The seven reasons MLB's once-hot stove has left players like Bryce Harper and Manny Machado in the cold
- Huston Platt and the Dixie Twister
- 40 Small Business Trends and Predictions for 2017
- Every NBA Team's Trade-Deadline Shopping List
Budget 2021: Corporation tax rise and threshold freeze as Sunak vows to build 'fairer' UK in COVID victims' memory have 300 words, post on news.sky.com at March 3, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.