Loyalist paramilitary groups in Northern Ireland have withdrawn their support for the Good Friday Agreement in protest at post-Brexit border arrangements. In a letter to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, the Loyalist Communities Council (LCC) said they no longer backed the 1998 peace deal due to the impact of the Northern Ireland Protocol. They called for the Protocol, a key part of the UK’s divorce deal with the EU aimed at avoiding a hard border on the island of Ireland, to be amended following weeks of issues with trade between Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Trade tensions increasing in Northern Ireland “I have been instructed to advise you that the Loyalist Groupings are herewith withdrawing their support for the Belfast Agreement and its Institutions until our rights under the Agreement are restored and the Protocol is amended to ensure unfettered access for goods. services, and citizens throughout the United Kingdom,” wrote LCC chairman David Campbell. “If the EU is not prepared to honour the entirety of the Agreement then it will be responsible for the permanent destruction of the Agreement. Advertisement “The LCC is prepared to play a meaningful role in… Read full this story
- The Good Friday agreement is under threat – but it’s key to resolving Brexit
- Good Friday agreement - inside story
- Northern Ireland: Veterans mark 50th anniversary of 'Troubles' deployment
- Loyalist paramilitary groups 'to support rule of law'
- Brexit is a menace to society in Northern Ireland. Here’s why
- UK's Boris Johnson talks Brexit in Northern Ireland
- Lyra McKee: Murdered journalist honored at Northern Ireland funeral
- Northern Ireland elects more nationalist MPs than unionists for the first time in history
- Boris Johnson sees 'wonderful adventure' after Brexit, but Scotland and Northern Ireland brace for a bumpier ride
- Northern Ireland's DUP sees Brexit deal if both sides 'flexible'
Brexit: Loyalist groups withdraw support for Good Friday Agreement over Northern Ireland Protocol have 302 words, post on news.sky.com at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.