Boris Johnson is getting a £9million White House-style ‘situation room’ to command terror emergencies and military operations. The state-of-the-art bunker in the basement of the Cabinet Office will have huge display screens allowing the PM to track events in real time. It will be known as the Situation Centre, or SitCen, and should be up and running this summer – with claims it will reduce the time taken to brief ministers from ‘weeks to minutes’. The plan is a centrepiece of the huge defence, security and foreign policy review due to be unveiled by Mr Johnson on March 16. The project has been highlighted after it emerged that £2.6million has been spent on an overhaul of No9 Downing Street to stage US-esque televised press briefings. Meanwhile, a major row is raging over claims Mr Johnson’s official flat above No11 is having an upgrade overseen by his fiancee Carrie Symonds, with the cost feared to be around £200,000. No10 sources told the Sunday Times coronavirus had exposed the need for ministers have access to more real-time data. ‘Cobra is just a room with three clocks on the wall and a table,’ one source said. The SitCen is at the heart of the… Read full this story
- Thank you for saving my life: Boris Johnson stops in Downing Street to deliver tribute to the 'beating heart of this country' NHS before heading with pregnant fiancée Carrie to Chequers by car
- Humble NHS nurses 'Jenny and Luis' brush off Boris Johnson's praise for staying at his 'ICU bedside for 48 hours when things could have gone either way' and return to work - as their family tell of their pride at pair who helped save the PM
- Boris Johnson accuses Keir Starmer of being 'negative' as the Labour leader savages the Prime Minister at PMQs over the decision to STOP coronavirus testing for a ten-week period earlier this year
- Dominic Cummings 'is set to quit in six months': Boris Johnson's under-fire chief adviser 'will leave after drawing a line under Brexit'
- 'You will have to make up your own minds': Boris Johnson stands by Dominic Cummings explanation that he was just 'doing the best for his family' when he drove 260 miles with covid symptoms to get childcare for his son, 4, at his parents' farm
- Boris Johnson REFUSES to sack Dominic Cummings amid rising fury at claim the maverick aide breached lockdown - including TWICE driving 270 miles from London to Durham while the rest of the UK was told to stay at home
- Coronavirus UK LIVE: Death toll hits 36,914 as Boris Johnson confirms all non-essential shops can reopen by June 15
- The Latest: Japan set to end Tokyo’s state of emergency
- 'I want to be a good British citizen': London Bridge terrorist's grovelling prison letter - before he was AUTOMATICALLY freed early after seven years for Mumbai-style plot despite his trial judge saying he should NEVER be released
- Trump, white working class voters and what the media miss
Boris Johnson will get £9m White House-style 'situation centre' to command terror emergencies and military operations have 484 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at March 7, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.