Boris Johnson is trying to set up a charity to help fund a luxurious revamp of his grace-and-favour flat, it was claimed today. The Prime Minister faces questions over works overseen by his fiancee Carrie Symonds in the plush, four-bed living space above No11. The 32-year-old has removed Theresa May 's "John Lewis furniture nightmare" and paintings by British artist John Nash hang alongside works by the PM himself, according to an article in Tatler. The Cabinet Office will be forced to publish any taxpayer spending on the project in its annual accounts this summer. But today No10 refused to deny reports that the Prime Minister, 56, wants to fund the some of refurb through donations – after being told he could only claim around £30,000 from the state. The Daily Mail reported Mr Johnson had privately complained the cost was "totally out of control" and amounted to "tens and tens of thousands", which he would struggle to afford after an expensive divorce from ex-wife Marina Wheeler. According to the Mail, the PM has asked Tory peer Lord Brownlow to set up a charity that could pay for upkeep of Downing Street. Such a charity could mirror the White House… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson's fiancée Carrie Symonds shows off her baby bump and engagement ring as she is seen for the first time since announcing she is pregnant
- 'Traitor!' Boris Johnson is heckled as he FINALLY visits flood scene in Bewdley 22 DAYS after storms hit as Chancellor unveils £5billion Budget boost to protect 300,000 homes
- So who DID pay for Boris Johnson’s £15,000 Caribbean holiday? PM faces probe after phone tycoon David Ross admits he 'facilitated’ his stay in Mustique villa - but DIDN’T foot the bill
- Now EVERYONE with a cough could be told to self-isolate as Boris Johnson warns there are 'extensive preparations' to move Britain to 'delay' phase of coronavirus combat plan
- Boris Johnson says he WON'T ban mass gatherings or close schools in fight against coronavirus as health experts say government plan is to LET the disease spread slowly through UK so country gets 'herd immunity'
- Boris Johnson brands coronavirus the 'worst public health crisis in a generation' and estimates up to 10,000 Britons are ALREADY infected and 'many more' will die - but STILL stops short of shutting schools and banning public gatherings
- Ex-Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt blasts Boris Johnson's 'concerning' decision not to ban public events and wants end to care home visits as he says government is NOT doing enough to battle coronavirus 'national emergency'
- Shocking charts reveal thousands of Brits could die from the coronavirus if Prime Minister Boris Johnson doesn't act now to 'flatten the curve' of the UK's spiralling epidemic
- How do we decide who is a boffin and who is a freeloader in Boris Johnson’s immigration scheme?
- Boris Johnson's estranged wife 'in pieces' and children 'furious' over engagement
Boris Johnson 'setting up a charity' to fund lavish refurb of his Downing Street flat have 479 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.