STRANGE as it may seem, Boris Johnson and I have one big thing in common. We were both sacked from The Times newspaper. I got my P45 for joining the strike by print workers against Rupert Murdoch during the Wapping dispute of 1986. He got the boot in 1988 for making up quotes while learning to hate the EU as the Brussels correspondent. There, the resemblance ends. I have not had cause to take industrial action since then, but he is still at it. Like his hero Donald Trump, our Prime Minister is an inveterate, unrepentant liar. Or, to quote (accurately, this time) a former French ambassador to Britain, "a congenital liar". I didn't know you could lie with your genitals, but if you can, he will. He lied to MPs, in Parliament, during Prime Minister's Questions last week. Asked by Hull North MP Dame Diana Johnson about the Government's 40% cut in funding for Transport for the North (TfN), he blithely retorted: "There is no such cut." TfN board papers last month revealed the organisation's core funding would drop from £10million in the current year to £6m in 2021/2022. PMQs is a well-rehearsed, choreographed event. He must have known… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson prepares for humiliating U-turn over face masks in schools as PM says ‘of course’ he will change advice on mouth coverings ‘if we need to’ after his hand is forced by Nicola Sturgeon
- Boris Johnson plans to set targets for number of rape case prosecutions
- The Queen thanks heroes who 'fought so valiantly' to bring WWII to an end on VJ Day 75th anniversary of as Boris Johnson, Charles and Camilla attend remembrance service at the National Memorial Arboretum
- Japan's Emperor Naruhito expresses his 'deep remorse' on 75th anniversary of VJ Day as ceremonies are held around the world before the Royal Family joins Boris Johnson for memorial service
- 'Come out Gavin': Hundreds of furious students descend on Westminster for day three of angry protests over A-Level grades chaos as they call for education secretary to be sacked
- Teachers warn children will 'bully' each other over who's got the coolest masks, spit in each others' and wear 'dirty' face coverings after Boris's last minute U-turn leaves schools scrambling to catch up
- Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer risks union wrath after saying he 'expects' all pupils to be back in classrooms next month
- Eamonn Holmes and Nigel Farage clash with 'extremist' Black Lives Matter activist who claims 'most people don't really care' about singing Rule Britannia or The Proms after BBC censored 'racist' lyrics
- Wuhan virus lab 'cover-up': Startling photos of scientists wearing little protection as they handle deadly bat samples vanish from website of Chinese institute at the centre of global suspicion over pandemic
- How did Britain get its coronavirus response so wrong?
'Boris Johnson's lies to the North exposed – and the angry Dame determined to shame him' have 468 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.