The young black poet made internationally famous by her recital during the inauguration of Joe Biden says she was followed home by a security guard because she looked “suspicious”. Amanda Gorman , who was the US’s first National Youth Poet Laureate and was widely praised for her performance in January, says she was regarded as a “threat” because she is black. She told her 1.5 million Twitter followers: “A security guard tailed me on my walk home tonight. He demanded if I lived there because ‘you look suspicious.’ A security guard tailed me on my walk home tonight. He demanded if I lived there because "you look suspicious." I showed my keys & buzzed myself into my building. He left, no apology. This is the reality of black girls: One day you're called an icon, the next day, a threat. https://t.co/MmANtQqpBs — Amanda Gorman (@TheAmandaGorman) March 6, 2021 “I showed my keys & buzzed myself into my building. He left, no apology. This is the reality of black girls: One day you’re called an icon, the next day, a threat.” The identity of the security guard is unknown. Advertisement The 22-year-old from Los Angeles, who garnered worldwide attention due to… Read full this story
- Ex-security guard attacked engineer with sword
- China says won't submit to US threats as trade talks begin
- Amanda Lacaze aims to return Lynas Corp to the ASX100
- South Africa: Mom of Man Accused of Killing Two Teen Girls Says Her Son Is 'Not a Demon'
- 'Sarah Finnie used Freshney Place security cameras to hide attack'
- Caught in the Mill: Pain Doctors Say They're POWs in the War on Opioids
- Is the rooster, with its thuggish ways, a domestic animal? – Amanda Giracca
- Somalia Beefs Up Mogadishu Security Ahead of Ramadan
- No federal cyber-security money before election, state says
- Giuliani says Trump might not comply with a subpoena, and says Cohen might’ve paid off more women
Amanda Gorman: Poet says she was tailed by suspicious security guard who thought she was a 'threat' have 315 words, post on news.sky.com at March 6, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.