It was 3am when Amanda Barrie was woken by her landline ringing. She knew a call at that time is hardly ever good news. Half awake she answered, relieved but bemused to hear the excitable voice on the other end. "We have worked together before," exclaimed a delighted Johnny Briggs. "I've just seen us!" This was the late Eighties, and just a few years into what would be Mike and Alma Baldwin's 20-year love story, the pair were already one of the nation's favourite Coronation Street couples. Off-screen, Johnny relied just as much on charisma and cheeky-chappy charm to get him out of scrapes as his alter ego. Scrapes such as ringing his co-star in the middle of the night to report they had unknowingly been in the same film – Doctors in Distress – in 1963. It makes Amanda laugh even now. "I said to him, 'What are you talking about? It's three o'clock in the morning!'. But he'd just seen the film on TV, and decided to phone me right then to tell me," recalls Amanda. "But that was Johnny." Nowadays Amanda has sadly become used to the phone ringing with bad news. And this week, it was… Read full this story
- Visit Illinois and Pay Tribute to Lincoln
- Queen Elizabeth II tribute: How did the Queen honour her ancestor in wedding to Philip?
- Amanda Holden, Abbey Clancy and Katherine Jenkins bring some glamour to the trading floor as they fund-raise at charity event honouring finance workers killed in September 11 attacks
- Ryan Thomas reveals his friend Charlie Everton has passed away from cancer in a touching tribute... as celebrity pals pay their respects to the soap star's loved one
- Kym Marsh says her 'heart remains broken' as she shares emotional tribute to late son Archie in light of Baby Loss Awareness Week
- Amanda Holden's daughter Hollie, seven, interviews A-listers Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning as proud BGT judge jokes she's 'worried for her job'
- Tenant Screening For Landlords
- If Pay Per Click Advertising Were a Girl I'd Tell You NOT to Date That Broad!
- Billie Piper stuns in a black lace dress as she is supported by her ex-husband Chris Evans and his wife Natasha Shishmanian at Rare Beasts premiere
- Abbey Clancy reveals husband Peter Crouch used to write her poetry 'all the time'... but stopped after they got married and had children
Amanda Barrie pays tribute to 'naughty' on-screen Corrie husband Johnny Briggs have 407 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.