American airstrikes in Syria show that Iran can expect consequences for supporting militia groups threatening US interests and personnel, Joe Biden has warned. “You can’t act with impunity. Be careful,” the US president said when asked what message he intended to send with the airstrikes early on Friday morning on Syria ‘s eastern border with Iraq. Satellite images show a group of buildings before the airstrike and the obliteration of most of them after. The Pentagon said the strikes by two Air Force F-15E aircraft using seven missiles destroyed nine buildings and heavily damaged two others in eastern Syria used by Iran-backed militias. They added that the strikes were not intended to eradicate the groups using them for attacks inside Iraq but to show the US will act firmly while trying to avoid a widespread regional escalation. Advertisement US officials said the airstrikes, Mr Biden’s first military action as president, were legal and appropriate as they took out facilities housing valuable “capabilities” used by the militia groups to attack American and allied forces in Iraq. Members of Congress were notified before the strikes but Mr Biden faced opposition from several leading Congress members in his own party who denounced the… Read full this story
- Pentagon: Syria airstrikes targeted Iran-backed convoy
- Report: Syria, North Korea Helped Iran Develop Nuclear Program
- Syria airstrikes on refugee shelter 'could amount to war crime,' UN warns
- Turkish air strikes pound US-backed Kurdish militia in Syria
- Syria's shadow lurks behind Iran nuclear talks
- +++ US fires cruise missiles on Syria - live updates +++
- Syria conflict: What do the US, Russia, Turkey and Iran want?
- US aircraft shoots down pro-regime drone in southern Syria
- Obama criticizes Russia attacks in Syria and warns of 'recipe for disaster'
- Attack on Saudi oil sites raises risks amid US-Iran tension
Syria: After US airstrikes, Biden warns Iran of consequences for supporting militia groups have 296 words, post on news.sky.com at February 27, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.