A North-South divide has emerged as England prepares to emerge from its third lockdown. London and the South East, despite being crippled by the new Kent variant over Christmas, has seen cases plummet in recent weeks. Now nearly all of England’s hotspots for Covid are in the North or the Midlands. Millions in the country are now being vaccinated although so far only people aged over 60 have been called forward. But cases are continuing to circulate, especially among younger age groups not yet protected. And the latest data shows the lockdown is struggling to contain stubbornly high infection rates in the Midlands and areas of the North. What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments Only two of the top 30 areas of England for Covid cases are in the South East of England – Luton and Slough. Smaller towns in the North and Midlands such as Middlesbrough, Mansfield and Preston feature heavily at the top of Covid infections. Corby, Northamptonshire recorded the highest rate (333.7 cases per 100,000 people, in the seven days to February 22. And all of the 30 areas with the lowest infection rates in England are in the South,… Read full this story
- Full list shows if coronavirus is rising in your area - or if cases are falling off
- Xinhua Headlines: Disregard, discrimination, disunity -- U.S. human rights ills laid bare in pandemic
- Kim Jong Un puts North Korean city on lockdown over suspected coronavirus case, says 'vicious virus' may be in country
- Face masks up North? The folk there are barely wearing actual clothes
- Coronavirus live updates: 31 Costco employees infected in South Bay
- London hasn't recorded 100 Covid-19 cases in a day for nearly a MONTH, official figures show (so, how many people have been struck down in YOUR town?)
- Child care is on the verge of collapse in the Bay Area. Can parents go back to work?
- Are England's coronavirus cases creeping UP? Official data estimates 2,800 people per day are catching the disease and infection rates have risen in 63 areas as government announces another 123 UK deaths
- Kim Jong Gun: North Korean generals pose like gangsters alongside their leader with pistols awarded to them to mark Korean War armistice anniversary
- Coronavirus news from the Bay Area: March 10-11
Shocking North-South Covid divide laid bare by full list showing cases in each area have 368 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at February 27, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.