The work of a Cold War spy who masterminded a plot to get the US a Soviet fighter jet was so secretive he had to hide his medals from plain sight. Jim Fees was widely regarded as one of the greatest intelligence officers and lived his life in the shadows like a character from one of John Le Carre's espionage novels. He joined the CIA in 1957 and worked undercover in Europe, Africa and the Middle East during America's long tussle with the USSR for influence and supremacy. Now his medals, previously hidden behind a picture at his home, are up for sale. What is your view? Have your say in the comments section One of the spy's most notable achievements was masterminding the covert acquisition of the most advanced Soviet-designed plane of the time – a MiG-23. The plane, supplied by Egypt, was taken to a US air base in Nevada to train pilots how to defeat the Soviets in aerial combat. This was part of 1977's Constant Peg programme, much of which is still classified. Fees also posed as a humanitarian relief worker in Yemen to stage a secret mission to rescue American hostages in Lebanon. For his… Read full this story
- Benedict Cumberbatch is the unassuming salesman sent to infiltrate Russia's KGB during The Cold War in new trailer for spy thriller The Courier
- CIA files reveal SS boss dubbed ‘Holocaust Architect’ plotted to form Nazi terror cell before being hung for war crimes
- Declassified CIA X-files reveal 'UFO circled above Scottish town in 1957'
- Allegations against Lincoln Project co-founder was ‘biggest open secret’ in DC: Ryan Girdusky
- Joe Biden's Saudi Weapons Freeze Leaves 'Pariah' Mohammed bin Salman in the Cold
- The Black List 2009: Full Roster
- New trailers: The Map of Tiny Perfect Things, Ginny & Georgia, Young Rock and more
- How One Company Made It Easier For An Autocrat To Crack Down, Then Lobbied Trump — And Won
- The Bad, Good Lawyer
- Joe Biden must tell hate preacher Abu Hamza to abandon hope of return to Britain
Secrets of Cold War spy and CIA mastermind who bagged advanced Soviet MiG-23 jet have 335 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at February 13, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.