THE POLICE watchdog has ordered forces to explain why black and ethnic minorities are subjected to more stop and searches than whites. Police were also urged to consider scrapping stops for possession of drugs because they are said to contribute to the racial disparity. A report from Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Services (HMICFRS) said the disproportionate use of police powers risks losing trust of communities. The watchdog highlighted the death of George Floyd in the US as an example of the potential fall-out when police interaction with ethnic minorities goes wrong. Black people are almost nine times more likely to be stopped and searched than whites, according to latest Home Office data for 2019/20. They are also over 5.5 times more likely to have force used on them by cops than white people, have eight times more chance of being handcuffed and a nine-fold prospect of having a Taser drawn on them. Stop and search has been hailed as a vital tool for tackling gang violence and has been massively stepped up in the last three years. A total of 577,054 stops were carried out across England in 2019-20, with 76 per cent leading to… Read full this story
- Family of black man George Floyd call for cops to be charged with murder after four were fired over video of white officer kneeling on his neck during arrest - as attorney says it's worse than Eric Garner
- Hong Kong leader rejects protesters' call for independent police probe
- Second Video Suggests Alton Sterling Was Not Holding Gun During Police Shooting
- The mystery of Weston-super-Mare's Covid-19 outbreak: Officials are still investigating spike in cases that forced hospital to SHUT - but scientists say it could be down to tourists flocking to the beach or an unreported cluster in care homes
- Lockdown for AT LEAST three more weeks: Dominic Raab declares coronavirus curbs are working but must stay in force despite huge hit to economy - as he rejects demands for an 'exit strategy'
- Minority lawmakers gain unprecedented clout amid pandemic
- Dramatic moment suspended police officer uses Taser on 'bystander' after car crash as he is investigated for THIRD incident using 'excessive force'
- Black Lives Matter and the Ideology of White Backlash
- Officers sacked in US after black man dies as policeman kneels on neck
- The realities of being a black birdwatcher
Police watchdog orders forces to explain why black and ethnic minorities are subjected to more stop and searches have 383 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at February 26, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.