More than 850 cows that have spent two months at sea on a ship crossing the Mediterranean are facing slaughter, following a report from Spanish vets. The cattle have suffered “hellish” conditions, according to animal rights activists. The Karim Allah vessel originally left the Spanish port of Cartagena to deliver the cattle to Turkey but were refused entry due to fears over bluetongue. The insect-borne bovine virus causes lameness and haemorrhaging among cattle but does not affect humans. After being turned away from Turkey , owners failed to find a new buyer for the animals. Advertisement The ship was subsequently rejected by several more countries, even to replenish animal feed, leaving the animals to go several days with just water. The ship was turned into a pariah vessel and it has now returned to its starting point in Cartagena. More from Spain Migrants found hiding in container of broken glass and sack full of toxic ash Pablo Hasel: Barcelona sees sixth night of violent protests over jailed rapper Pablo Hasel: Violent clashes on fifth night of protests over jailing of Spanish rapper who insulted monarchy Pablo Hasel: Spanish rapper arrested after 24-hour police standoff for evading prison Fernando Alonso: Two-time… Read full this story
- CDC recommends Americans wear face masks voluntarily in public but some officials say they felt 'pressured' to draft new guidelines
- Iranian skipper, 37, of migrant boat which capsized killing family of five could face up to ten years in jail after becoming first Channel 'trafficker' to face manslaughter charge
- Snitches and snoopers, students and the elderly shut away... a nation cowering and an economy in tatters. Now BEL MOONEY asks: How could once-indomitable Britain be reduced to slaves to fear?
- Relatives of tragic migrant family who drowned when boat capsized in the Channel face £90,000 bill to bring their bodies back to Iran as French officials confirm three including baby are missing
- Italy lets refugee ship dock
- Coronavirus digest: Germany warns over rapid vaccine approvals
- Traveling to Germany: Coronavirus restrictions — questions and answers
- Coronavirus: Germany to impose one-month partial lockdown
- UK-France: Holidaymakers rush home to avoid quarantine
- Coronavirus digest: Germany cases reach record high, France locks down
Over 850 cows on pariah ship in Mediterranean facing slaughter after bluetongue fears have 349 words, post on news.sky.com at February 27, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.