ALTHOUGH kids aren’t returning to school anytime soon, prepping lunches ahead of time could still help busy mums get through the day.
And if you’re in need of a little helping hand, take a page from this mum’s book as she revealed to Kidspot how she prepared 250 lunch items for just £41 (US$56) – and it’ll last MONTHS.
Aussie mum Rachael Hallett knows a thing or two about thrifty meal ideas and is a master meal prepper.
Speaking to publication, the mum, who runs the Facebook group Mums Who Budget and Save, said: “I don’t want to be making food from scratch for the lunch box every couple of days.
“My kids need variety and this prep offers a way to easily provide that to them while saving money and being easy on me.”
Her little ones are just three and four, and for Rachael, it’s the first time she’s had to prepare packed lunches as her eldest started school this year.
After spending just $75 (£41/US$56), Rachael worked out each item cost just 31 cents (17p/24c), and the huge batch of baked goods would last her the entire school term.
Rachael posted photos of her handiwork to Facebook which showed off her home made pizza scrolls, sausage rolls and chicken and cheese wraps.
There’s also delicious meatballs, mini sandwiches and even cheeseburgers – all made from scratch.
“All up we made just under 250 pieces. Some will be one a day and some will be a couple a day,” she wrote.
“I calculated I spent about $75 on the ingredients, which means about 31 cents per item. I think that’s really cheap.”
While these food items are great to store in the freezer to use when needed, Rachael thinks fresh food is very important too.
She explained: “[For each lunch] I’ll take one to three items from this cook up per day and pop them in the lunch box with plenty of fresh produce, some dairy and extra protein such as a boiled egg.”
It seems Rachael’s lucky kids have more variety than a typical restaurant menu – and she wouldn’t have it any other way.
She made sausage rolls, meatballs, mini sandwiches with salami and cheese, pizza pinwheels, mini pizzas, sandwiches shaped like dumplings, cheeseburger sliders and wraps. She even made the pizza dough from scratch.
Vote for your Fabulous Mum of the Year and WIN
Do you know a mum who deserves some extra recognition? We want to pay homage to the best mums in Britain.
During the pandemic they’ve been busy juggling childcare, homeschooling and work, with the added stress of worrying about the health of elderly relatives and vulnerable friends.
It’s never been a harder time to be a mum, so this year it’s even more important to honour the amazing women in our lives.
Nominate her for our Fabulous Mum Of The Year Award and she could win an overnight stay for two at a Champneys spa of her choice complete with a Gold package, which includes four relaxing treatments for the ultimate pampering experience.
Two runners-up will Champneys goodie bag worth £50 plus a £100 M&S voucher and £200 Nutmeg at Morrisons voucher, and all three mums will enjoy a makeover with our glam squad before taking part in a photo shoot for the magazine.
And you could win a £100 Tu at Sainsbury’s voucher, £200 Florence & Fred at Tesco voucher or £250 to spend at Primark just for entering.
If you want to nominate a mum then fill in the form here.
To enter, upload a photograph of the mum you are nominating and explain why they deserve to win.
The deadline for entries is Sunday February 14 and one winner and two runners-up will be announced on Sunday March 14. Good luck – we can’t wait to hear from you!
Most read in Fabulous
DOWN A RABBIT HOLE
I spent £25k making my home a colourful Wonderland – trolls say it’s OTT
February 1: From love to work, your positive attitude is your best asset
DIVINER AT 53
Davina McCall on walking around naked & ‘growing old disgracefully’
WORK IT OUT
Go from flab to fab in just 28 days without leaving home with our workout guide
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Expert reveals how often you should REALLY wash your clothes
FRET A MANGER
Mum asks if her budget lunch is enough as trolls say she’s starving her kids
Meanwhile, a worried mum asks if her budget lunch is big enough for eight-year-old after cruel trolls accuse her of starving her kids.
And this mum who lost her toddler in a supermarket shares the tip she used for finding him – and EVERY parent needs to know it.
- Desperate mums reveal their heartache struggling to feed kids in summer holidays
- Mum says Universal Credit wait meant she couldn't feed kids after cancer diagnosis
- Animal feeds offer lab technologist a job he could not find
- Single mums on the importance of being able to rely on other solo parents
- Britain's 'most fertile' mum, 30, has eight kids in nine years - and wants more
- Working mums juggling career and kids feel 'mother's guilt', researcher says
- Universal Credit’s left me with £140-a-month to live off says working mum backing Sun campaign along with pal CBB star Nicola McLean
- Mum, 34, whose weight spiralled after she turned to food for comfort following four miscarriages reveals how she dropped SEVEN dress sizes - without giving up her favourite carbs
- From being a bridesmaid, to doing a beauty pageant these mums had a baby and did something incredible just two weeks afterwards, like Abby Clancy
- Father sheds 5st in 10 MONTHS on the keto diet after his 17st frame meant he struggled to play with his children - and he still eats fry ups for breakfast
- Will the ban on junk food make kids seek healthier alternatives?
- TV star Jeff Brazier reveals his kids are still angry eight years after their mum Jade Goody’s death… and they ‘wish he’d died instead’
- Eva Mendes eats this same meal for lunch and dinner every day
- Improving diet cuts risk of heart attacks in kids
- Ways To Wake Up Kids Early
- These are the best-rated car seats for kids from newborn through 12
- 'She had her skin checked regularly': How a healthy and active mum-of-four woke one day with 'pain in her side' - and was diagnosed with melanoma and given just three months to live
- The man who is fervent about feeding hungry kids, but hates food banks
- Can you REALLY feed a family of four for $50? How Aldi, Woolworths and Coles compare at the checkout in the latest supermarket price challenge - and one comes WAY out in front
- The myth of 'mum and dad' property investors
Organised mum prepares 250 lunches for £41 & it’s enough to feed your kids for MONTHS have 1170 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at February 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.