Kolkata, Feb 05: India has not given permission for use of any vaccine against bird flu nor other countries like the US, UK and the European Union have approved any such vaccine, the government informed Parliament on Friday.
‘As per World Organization of Animal Health (OIE), vaccination is not considered the solution for the control of Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) if eradication is the desired result,’ Union Minister Sanjeev Kumar Balyan said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.
Without the application of monitoring systems, strict biosecurity and depopulation in the face of infection, there is a possibility that these viruses could become endemic in vaccinated poultry populations, he said.
Long-term circulation of the virus in a vaccinated population may result in both antigenic and genetic changes in the virus and this has been reported to have occurred in several countries, the Minister of State for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying said.
The minister further explained that with the long-term use of vaccination either the disease becomes endemic and therefore widespread, or the infection in affected animals gets too difficult to detect.
‘The Government of India has not permitted use of any vaccine against bird flu in the country. Further, it is gathered from the Central Drugs Standards Control Organization (CDSCO) that no such vaccine is approved in countries like the USA, UK, EU etc. to prevent/cure bird flu in birds,’ he noted.
In a separate reply, the minister said bird flu among commercially reared and wild birds have been confirmed from 14 states and union territories namely Kerala, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Bihar, Rajasthan, Delhi, and Jammu and Kashmir.
So far, the Centre has provided Rs 103.56 crore assistance to these 14 states/union territories for control of bird flu, he added.
- Deadly bird flu ‘could kill millions across the world’ because China refuses to share samples of virus
- Bird flu outbreak in Suffolk could spread to people – the signs to watch out for
- Is It Time for a Universal Influenza Vaccine? The Virus Is Getting Deadlier
- Why are so many Italians against vaccines?
- National moves towards 'no-jab-no-pay' policy
- Inspector General Michael Horowitz slams 'failure' by FBI leaders who used Christopher Steele's anti-Trump dossier and tells Senate of 'basic and fundamental errors' in Russia probe
- Debunking the myths and urban legends around vaccinations
- Doctors Barred From Giving Migrants Free Flu Shots Vow to Protest Outside Border Patrol Stations Until CBP Lets Them In
- Amid grim flu season, scientists work to find "holy grail" vaccine
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Calls for Detained Migrants to Be Given Flu Shot After Death of Guatemalan Boy
- Where to Get the Flu Shot in Your Area and How to Get It for Free
- Marianne Williamson’s Vaccine ‘Adviser’ Is an Anti-Vaxx Lawyer
- More children hospitalised for seasonal flu
- Delhi Witness Rise In Swine Flu (H1N1) Cases; 5 Ways To Prevent Swine Flu
- Some Malaysians' rejection of vaccines fans fears of disease surge
- Breaking birding record only beginning for Oregon man
- Bharat Biotech’s typhoid vaccine offers 82% protection
- Students to be fully vaccinated in the coming school year
- 'Quite a shock': Scoot employees laid off by Bird in SF scooter shake-up
- Caroll Spinney Sesame Street's Big Bird puppeteer dies at 85
No permission given for use of vaccine against bird flu; not even by other nations: Centre have 959 words, post on www.oneindia.com at February 5, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.