Pupils kidnapped from a boarding school in Nigeria alongside members of their family and teachers have been released, an official has confirmed. All 42 people, including 27 teenage boys, 12 of their relatives and three staff members, were freed on Saturday by gunmen who had been holding them hostage since 17 February. Niger state governor Abubakar Sani Bello tweeted to say they had “regained their freedom and been received by the Niger state government”. After their release, boys were seen by a witness walking with armed security through a village, some struggling to stand and asking for water. A government official said the boys were aged between 15 and 18. Advertisement It comes a day after a separate kidnapping in Zamfara state where 317 students were taken from the Girls Science secondary school in Jangebe town. Kidnappings for ransom by armed groups, many of whom carry guns and ride motorcycles, are common across several of Nigeria’s northern states. More from Nigeria Nigerian school kidnapping: Security forces open fire as violence mars safe return of 279 girls Nigeria: Released schoolgirls say kidnappers threatened to shoot them during three-day mass abduction Kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls: ‘Repentant bandits’ key to release of the 279… Read full this story
- Man and two teenage boys arrested over girl, 15, who died 'after taking ecstasy'
- Four teenage boys arrested over flour and eggs attack on woman are released on bail
- Teenage boy pulled off bike and stabbed in King’s Lynn robbery
- Is Picnic at Hanging Rock a true story, is the boarding school a real place and did any girls go missing?
- Indian Summer School review –a contrived and meaningless social experiment
- Boko Haram has abducted over 1,000 children in Nigeria since 2013: UNICEF
- Boys, 15, convicted of school murder plot inspired by Columbine massacre
- Tributes paid to teenage 'brothers in arms' who drowned in Clare quarry
- Elderly woman and teenager 'assaulted' outside school
- Video game studio co-founded by former Helena Romanes School pupil is named one of the most ‘exciting’ companies in the country
Nigeria: Gunmen release 27 teenage boys who were kidnapped from boarding school have 319 words, post on news.sky.com at February 27, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.