A 56-bedroom, two-storey underground nuclear bunker has gone on sale in Devon. Hope Cove Bunker near Salcombe was built in 1941 as a Second World War radar station – but was redeveloped in the 1950s as a regional government base in the event of a nuclear attack during the Cold War. It was kept on standby till the 1990s – ready to accommodate 250 government workers in case of a Soviet attack. The bunker failed to reach its reserve price at a previous auction in early February, and is now back on the market. Christopher Howell is caretaker of the bunker and told Sky News it was ready to be used in the event of an atomic explosion: “It was designed to be sealed up, a recycled air system was running – and had anything radioactive come this way, that would have offered them some protection. Advertisement “The idea was had the bomb gone off they would all congregate here, they would shut down inside, they have enough oil in tanks run generators for 35 days. “The place was highly secure, people were here 24/7, it was kept fully operational, all systems were kept so they could be brought fully… Read full this story
- Police find £580,000 of cannabis in underground bunkers dug under a farm just like Guy Ritchie's latest film The Gentlemen in raid that also uncovered shotgun, six stolen cars and a llama
- 'Fortnite' All Hidden Bunker Locations for Week 9 Challenges
- Germany: Nuclear phaseout or renaissance?
- A global nuclear phaseout or renaissance?
- This pillow spray promises to help reclaim the bedroom for sleep and intimacy - and it's on sale, just in time for Valentine's Day
- More experts say peak of second wave 'has already PASSED': Scientists further undermine need for national lockdown as study finds R rate is 1 and cases are falling in the North and Scotland
- Lisa Armstrong snaps up a smart new five-bedroom home near ex Ant McPartlin for a cool £3.8m... after netting an eye-watering £31m in divorce settlement
- Inside Little People star Caryn Chandler’s $405K Oregon ‘family’ home she bought WITHOUT boyfriend Matt Roloff
- Why don't leading ladies act their age? In new movie The Dig, Carey Mulligan, 35, plays a 56-year-old... but here's proof it's just the latest example of Hollywood ignoring older actresses
- 'Just having a rant, don't mind me!' Jesy Nelson criticises Instagram's 'weird' filters as she 'embraces her nose' in busty clip after 'rekindling romance with Sean Sagar'
Need a little more space? 56-bedroom underground nuclear bunker could be yours... for just £435,000 have 396 words, post on news.sky.com at February 28, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.