Tens of thousands of anti-coup protesters have poured back onto the streets of Myanmar on Sunday, raising their hands in a three-fingered salute during the second day of mass demonstrations against the military takeover. The gesture is a symbol of resistance inspired by the Hunger Games film franchise, which takes place in a dystopian world whose characters live under a brutal totalitarian government that severely restricts their rights. The salute was first taken up by Thai protesters opposing a 2014 military coup and has been a noticeable feature of pro-democracy demonstrations in the country ever since, including mass rallies last year. Myanmarese protesters have now adopted the symbol of resistance at huge demonstrations against last Monday’s arrest of de-facto civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other top officials. Armed police clashed with a crowd in the southeastern town of Myawaddy, as live video published on Facebook showed shots were heard as police tried to break up the protest. Tens of thousands of anti-coup protesters have poured back onto the streets of Myanmar on Sunday, raising their hands in a three-fingered salute during the second day of mass demonstrations against the military takeover. The gesture is a symbol of resistance inspired… Read full this story
- Generation revolution: how Egypt’s military state betrayed its youth
- Police lockdown as Extinction Rebellion protester climbs Parliament walls and climate change group vows to target the Tube in new demos that will hit thousands of commuters
- My Time Making ‘Shaft’ With John Singleton
- The Fighter: The Life & Times of Merle Haggard
- Zadie Smith: dance lessons for writers
- Dilma Rousseff: can Brazil’s fighter survive the turmoil?
- Moscow Music Peace Festival: How Glam Metal Helped End the Cold War
- 100 op-eds that tell the story of the 2010s
- Tragedy in an Animation Utopia: Horror, Heartbreak and Mystery After an Arson Massacre
Myanmar's Hunger Games protests: Demonstrators raise their hands in three-finger salute in gesture of rebellion inspired by Hollywood film as thousands take to streets in response to military coup have 299 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at February 7, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.