A Labour Government would make patrolling the North Atlantic against Russian submarines a priority to deter Kremlin aggression, military experts were told today. Shadow Defence Secretary John Healey highlighted the underwater threat posed to UK interests from Vladimir Putin’s forces, in a speech to the Royal United Services Institute. Analysts have described the level of activity by Russian subs in the North Atlantic as the most intense since the height of the Cold War. They often involve cat-and-mouse pursuits with Royal Navy submarines beneath the surface. But the threat is not confined to the sea. Long-range Russian bomber planes frequently skirt UK air space, forcing RAF Typhoon fighter jets on Britain’s quick reaction alert to scramble to confront them in mid-air. Vowing that under Keir Starmer’s premiership Labour would focus on confronting Russian aggression, Mr Healey warned "the biggest threat to stability for Europe is coming from Russia at present". "Labour in government would give the highest priority to Europe, the North Atlantic and the High North – our NATO area – where Russia's growing arsenal of longer-range missiles, together with modernised land and sea forces and intensified grey zone activity, pose the greatest threats to our vital national interests,"… Read full this story
- Turkey, Russia hold first joint patrol in northeast Syria
- Modi committed to usher achche din for job seekers, assures labour minister
- Can the trans-Atlantic relationship survive Donald Trump?
- What next for Labour and Corbyn after the byelections?
- Concerned Nations Should Get Used to China’s Navy in Indian Ocean: Expert
- Jeremy Corbyn’s conference speech: what can the experts teach him?
- The Corbyn earthquake – how Labour was shaken to its foundations
- Child labour rampant in tobacco industry
- Cyber Expert Explains the Theory of Crowdstrike's Connection to Ukraine, DNC Hacking Controversy
- Labour's Poll Surge Has Establishment 'Pundits' in a Flap
Labour would make anti-Russian patrols in the Atlantic a priority, experts told have 304 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at February 26, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.