A BROKE mum became a millionaire after coming up with her own baby mat idea while on maternity leave – starting a company now worth £3m (US$4m). Mum-of-two Alana Hands, 41, saw a need for nicer looking, and safer, foam play mats for her kids after spending $300 (£169/US$240) on a “very ugly” design which led to her son’s injury. When her first child Chloe was born in 2013, she purchased the pricey foam mat with pull-out letters which she also used three years later for her second baby, Rupurt. But Alana, from Brisbane, Australia, said she’d turned away for a minute and in that time he’d “pulled he puzzle pieces apart”, fell forward and hurt his head. That’s when she got the idea to create her own, and within just 30 minutes of launching a website she’d sold her first one – which led her to rake in over $200k (£113K/US$160k) in the first year alone. Alana told her story to Kidspot: "Rupert was six months old, trying to crawl on our ABC playmat and he'd pulled the puzzle pieces apart. "In the brief moment that I'd left the room, he lurched forward and knocked his face on the floorboards really… Read full this story
- Mum-of-nine scrubs kids in conveyor belt bathtime and washes three loads a day
- Killer, kleptocrat, genius, spy: the many myths of Vladimir Putin
- Birth of the Band: Read Inside Story From Robbie Robertson’s New Memoir
- MacArthur Genius Danielle Citron on Deepfakes and the Representative Katie Hill Scandal
- Welcome to the sex corridor of Britain where mums buy sex toys on the school run and farmers pop in for DVDs
- The Doors Reflect on Earliest Concerts, Jim Morrison’s Genius
- Sheikh Maktoum's UK property empire that is worth more than £100m alone: From the £75m Surrey estate the billionaire uses to escape Dubai's summer heat to the 63,000-acre Highland retreat with three helipads
- The Queen 'considered stripping Harry and Meghan of Sussex titles and HRH but feared looking "petty"': New details of Megxit deal emerge as Duke has private 'catch-up' with Boris Johnson before heading to Canada
- Ever wondered if you're a sexist pig? Boris Johnson's baby news provides the answer
- RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: If coronavirus results in the collapse of more airline companies, the solution will be easy - we can just let a wind-powered train take the strain...
I was a broke new mum when I came up with a genius baby mat idea – now my company is worth £3m have 395 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at February 25, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.