Hundreds of girls have been kidnapped in Nigeria after armed gunmen stormed a secondary school. The children were abducted from the Government Girls’ Secondary School in the town of Jangebe, in the north-western state of Zamfara, this morning. At least 300 youngsters are now believed to be missing from the boarding school, reports say. A member of staff said that some pupils managed to hide from the ‘bandits’ as hundreds of gunmen ‘invaded’ the town in the early hours of this morning. Speaking on the condition of anonymity, they said: “The gunmen in their hundreds invaded the town around 2am on Friday, shot sporadically in the air to scare the residents before coming into the school. “After taking away most of the students, we rounded up those that escaped or hid from the bandits and conducted a census where we counted 54 students and we are still searching to see if we can get more.” Locals reportedly tried to resist the ‘invasion’ however they were outnumbered and outgunned. Alhaji Abubakar Dauran, the Nigerian commissioner of security and home affairs, told the News Agency of Nigeria: “I can confirm to you now that we have sadly received the report on the… Read full this story
- Nigerian government reveals names of 110 girls kidnapped by Boko Haram
- Gunmen storm church programme, kidnap Pastor in Gboko, demand N10million ransom
- Nigerian girls who escaped Boko Haram risk their lives to go to school
- Malala's letter to Nigeria's abducted schoolgirls: 'solidarity, love, and hope'
- 'I'm SCARED and so are the students': Teacher on his first day tells of fear at 'no PPE' in school where 'social-distancing is impossible' as millions of pupils in England and Wales return to classes today
- Louisiana and Texas evacuate coastal cities as Hurricane Laura prepares to smash into Gulf Coast - 48 hours after Storm Marco swept the region
- One-two punch for Gulf: Tropical Storm Laura could batter the South as a category THREE hurricane with 105mph winds 48 hours after being hit by storm Marco as Texas and Louisiana declare state of emergencies and brace for 11-foot storm surges
- Millions of children finally back to school today as pics show inside new Covid-secure classrooms
- Inside the theatre of terror: First picture from inside Bataclan shows aftermath of Jihadi attack as video emerges of the moment gunmen opened fire and terrified musician hid behind his drums
- Shootout at the Bataclan hall: Dramatic video emerges of terrifying firefight between French police and terrorist gunmen outside concert where more than 80 people were massacred in cold blood
Hundreds of girls kidnapped in Nigeria after armed gunmen storm secondary school have 411 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at February 26, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.