A member of the elusive group behind the Golden Globes has gone on the record about the way the organisation works – following a slew of accusations that votes can easily be influenced and that it prohibits new members from joining. Husam Asi, a BBC Cinematic presenter, is a member of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), which organises and votes for the awards. He told Sky News the claims were unfounded and “mostly stem from jealously” among journalists who do not get the same access to stars, or invitations to trips and parties as HFPA members. Last week, an investigation by the LA Times claimed HFPA members were “routinely granted exclusive access to Hollywood power players, invited to junkets in exotic locales, put up in five-star hotels and, as Globes nominations near, lavished with gifts, dinners and star-studded parties”. When asked if such access to Hollywood’s top talent and invites to glamourous parties and dinners swayed HFPA members or coloured their votes, Mr Asi told Sky News: “I personally was never affected by those.” Advertisement Mr Asi, who works in LA as a presenter and producer, acknowledged there is a need for more transparency around the organisation, its members… Read full this story
- Neither critics nor production headaches could sink
- Town hall meetings increasingly rare for Maine members of Congress
- British Vogue editor Edward Enninful says the criticism of Meghan Markle after she guest-edited an edition of the magazine was 'racist'
- ISIS has lost its final stronghold in Syria, the Syrian Democratic Forces says
- President & General Director of The 36 Corporation JSC Honored at the Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Awards 2019
- Mad Dog unleashed: James Mattis unleashes on Donald Trump and says he's honored to be the 'greatest overrated general' - as he jokingly compares himself to Meryl Streep and roasts the President for 'earning his spurs from the doctor'
- Why some say Mexico already built Trump's wall -- and paid for it
- Will Apple satisfy its environmental critics?
- Bipartisan group removed from justice forum after protest from Harris and college students
- Here's what tech has to say about Trump's immigration ban
Golden Globes: Criticism of elusive group behind awards 'mostly stems from jealousy', member says have 343 words, post on news.sky.com at March 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.