Amravati: In the view of surging Coronavirus cases in several districts of Maharashtra, a fresh lockdown has been announced in Amravati district from Saturday 8 pm to Monday 7 am. The announcement was made by Shelesh Naval, District Collector, Amravati. During the weekend lockdown announced by the administration, markets and other establishments will remain shut. However, essential services will remain unaffected. ALSO READ | After New Mutant Coronavirus Spreads, Govt Issues Fresh Protocols For International Travellers
“In view of a spurt in COVID-19 cases, I have decided to impose a weekend lockdown in the district. To avoid any stricter lockdown in the future, I appeal to people to follow COVID-19 appropriate behaviour,” Naval said. The development comes after significant increase in Covid-19 cases were reported in some districts of Maharashtra including Amravati and Akola.
<blockquote class=”twitter-tweet”><p lang=”en” dir=”ltr”>Maharashtra | "Owing to rising cases, lockdown declared in Amravati District from Saturday 8pm to Monday 7 am": Shelesh Naval, District Collector, Amravati <a href=”https://t.co/iTIIWxXKnu” rel=’nofollow’>pic.twitter.com/iTIIWxXKnu</a></p>— ANI (@ANI) <a href=”https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1362384505546285060?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw” rel=’nofollow’>February 18, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src=”https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>
Sharing details of the lockdown, Naval said on weekdays, all establishments, including hotels and restaurants, would stay open only till 8 pm (from earlier 10 pm).
Apart from the above mentioned curbs, swimming pools and indoor games, too, will remain closed during the weekend lockdown. It is also to be noted that only five people will be allowed at religious ceremonies in the district.
New restrictions in Yavatmal district
Meanwhile, Covid-19 new restrictions have been imposed in Maharashtra’s Yavatmal district due to rise in Coronavirus cases. Under the new rules imposed in the district, schools and colleges will remail closed in Yavatmal till February 28 and restaurants, function halls will operate and marriage ceremonies will held in the district with less than 50 per cent capacity of people.
The District Collector of Yavatmal has also said that assembly of more than five people will not be allowed. “Restrictions are being put in place in Yavatmal district due to rising Covid-19 cases. It is not a lockdown,” DM MD Singh said.
Maharashtra Covid-19 tally on the rise
Of late, Maharashtra has witnessed a fresh spurt in Coronavirus cases in several districts. The state reported 4,787 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, the highest one-day count in more than two months. Among districts, Amravati reported 230 cases on Wednesday, a sharp rise from 82 infections registered on Tuesday.
A few other districts in the Vidarbha region have also registered a steady rise in COVID-19 cases in the recent weeks.
Earlier in the day, Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray and his deputy Ajit Pawar discussed the issue and more curbs in other districts can be expected soon. Talking to reporters here, Pawar said Thackeray has convened a meeting in the afternoon to discuss the situation and what decision is to be taken in connection with these cities.
Maharashtra government had last month extended the Coronavirus-induced lockdown in the state till February 28, even as a lot of restrictions have been eased in the last few months.
- Talks aiming to curb climate change begin in Poland, US absent
- Edited Transcript of FLL earnings conference call or presentation 8-Aug-19 8:30pm GMT
- Here are the 19 Democrats who are running for president
- Canada election: What federal leaders have pledged on the economy
- There are big questions in Toronto about shootings and gun control. We’ve got answers
- 50 biggest events of the season in Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice: 2019-2020
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES OCTOBER 8
- Winners and losers from the 2018 Budget
- London's murder rate hits grim milestone after spate of bloodshed
- 29 Things To Wear On An Airplane If You Want To Be More Comfortable
- Business Breakfast LIVE: Struggling Interserve explores options to generate cash
- Predictable Chaos: Europe Braces for the Effects of Brexit
- Anti-Doping Delay: FIFA's Foot-Dragging in an Investigation in Russia
- The drama behind Trump’s outreach to Trey Gowdy
- Trump changes the subject
- Inside the hunt for the world’s most dangerous terrorist
- POLITICO London Playbook, presented by ExxonMobil: El veto bonito — 88 and counting — The job nobody wants
- Explainer: What The Kerch Strait Skirmish Tells Us About A Simmering European Conflict
- POLITICO London Playbook, presented by London City Airport: Pepperoni cronies — What everyone is eating — Going hungry in Brussels
- 'Systematic' failings in mesh review
Fresh Lockdown In Amravati From Feb 20 As Maharashtra Covid-19 Tally On The Rise; Curbs Announced In Yavatmal have 755 words, post on news.abplive.com at February 18, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.