The government and private sector should forge a new partnership to fuel a post-pandemic recovery that could include greater financial contributions from businesses to aid policy reforms, some of Britain’s leading bosses have told Boris Johnson. Sky News has seen an open letter sent to the prime minister by the COVID Recovery Commission, a group set up last year that is chaired by the Tesco chairman, John Allan, and includes top executives from AstraZeneca, Heathrow Airport, Shell and Vodafone. In it, the executives acknowledge that building a “stronger, fairer and more resilient” economy will involve “a recognition that business’s place in the 21st century will be to serve more than just shareholders”. The letter will be accompanied by the publication of a report on Friday – Building Back Together – in which the Commission raises the prospect of private sector employers investing more into a more effective apprenticeship scheme than the widely criticised Apprenticeship Levy. This could be through either fundamental reform of the Levy, which was introduced in 2017, or its replacement altogether, according to an insider. Advertisement The Commission’s suggestion is unusual in that, while others have called for the Levy to be abolished altogether, major employers have… Read full this story
- UK's Boris Johnson plays down Conservative rift, NZ near top of trade deal queue
- Daily Business Report-Aug. 1, 2018, San Diego Metro Magazine
- THE HOUSTON BLACK HERITAGE MUSIC AND ARTS FESTIVAL AND EBONY MEDIA OPERATIONS ANNOUNCE PARTNERSHIP
- Theresa May Visits Scotland as Polls Show Low Confidence in Post-Brexit Economy
- After police kill Overland Park teen, new advocacy group is a call to action
- Juncker: grab Brexit chance to forge a tighter EU
- 53 firefighters from Australia and New Zealand arrive in Redding
- New York suburban commuters gear up for 'summer of hell'
- CARIBBEAT: Post-Irma aid is Carib-bound
- Daily Drive-Thru: Fiat Chrysler faces antitrust suit, feds probe F-150 brakes, UAW boss confirms Bronco, Ranger return and more
Forge new post-COVID partnership with business, bosses urge Johnson have 309 words, post on news.sky.com at February 25, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.