RISHI Sunak has hinted at an extension to England’s furlough scheme, promising "a Budget that provides support for people” as Covid lockdown rules are eased. Ahead of Wednesday’s budget, the chancellor insisted he would continue to do whatever it takes to support people and businesses in the UK through the pandemic. At the earliest restrictions in England are set to be fully lifted by 21 June. Mr Sunak said he would provide help during that period but added that he wanted to “level with people” about the “shock to the economy”. It comes comes as the government announced £5-billion to help high street businesses following the Covid-19 crisis. Follow our live blog below for the very latest on the UK ‘s path out of lockdown … Niamh Cavanagh 24 minutes ago CONTINUED The Eat Out to Help Out scheme was introduced last year after the first lockdown was lifted to get Brits eating out again. Influential think-tank The Resolution Foundation said last week that the Chancellor must pump £30billion into business bailouts, furlough and a Shop Out to Help Out voucher scheme to aid the high street. Mr Sunak will unveil a £5billion pandemic rescue fund for the high street in the Budget. He… Read full this story
- Welcome to Britain, but we'd like you to live up North: Home Secretary Priti Patel's migrant points plan will help boost northern economy by tempting talent away from the capital
- Chancellor hints at inheritance tax cut
- Employees to be handed stake in firms under Labour plan
- No-deal Brexit 'to push UK debt to 50-year high'
- Where did Princess Margaret get £20m and how about the Queen mother's £70m legacy? In his controversial new book, MP Norman Baker examines the family's finances as he accuses the Windsors of Right Royal Robbery
- Queen's £100m a year windfall: Green energy earnings of the Royal Family are set to be boosted by an auction for the biggest offshore windpower development in the world
- Johnson ‘much more dangerous’ than Thatcher, says McDonnell
- Budget paralysis as we brace for Brexit impact
- Pound slips as Brexit deal hopes cool — live updates
- Boris Johnson would be foolish to underestimate Labour
Covid UK news – Rishi Sunak hints at furlough extension as Chancellor plans stealth rise in income tax have 351 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at February 28, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.