The Brazil COVID-19 “variant of concern” first detected in the city of Manaus has been discovered in the UK. Three cases of the new variant, known as P1, have been found in South Gloucestershire , Public Health England said on Sunday. The other three were detected in Scotland , but are not linked to the England cases, according to the Scottish government. What we know about the Brazil variant Two of the cases in England come from a household in South Gloucestershire, where one person returned from Brazil in mid-February, before the new hotel quarantine measures were introduced. The third case is unlinked and the whereabouts of the individual unknown, as the person did not complete their test registration card, PHE said. Advertisement Scotland’s three variant cases have been identified in the Grampian region after three people flew from Brazil to Aberdeen via Paris and London earlier this month. All the other passengers who were on their final flight from London to Aberdeen have been contacted, the Scottish government said. More from UK Met Police officer who acted as recruiter for banned neo-Nazi terror group faces jail COVID news live – latest updates: Wales plans to open pubs, bars and… Read full this story
- The young people who feel failed by mental health services in Wales
- WHO official: With e-cigarettes, the tobacco industry just ‘changed clothes’
- Health officials demand clean air zone for Bristol
- With Britain’s younger generation facing a mental health crisis, Fabulous investigates the shocking rise in child suicide rates
- E-cigarettes: Are they addicting new generation to nicotine?
- WHO says Ebola outbreak in DR Congo not yet global emergency
- Scientists develop new weapons in the battle to defeat an ancient disease
- Number of children vaping doubles in five years, new research shows
- Child mental health 'postcode lottery'
- New system to spot troubled uni students
COVID-19: New Brazil COVID 'variant of concern' discovered in UK, health officials say have 298 words, post on news.sky.com at March 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.