Captain Sir Tom Moore, the Second World War veteran who was knighted after raising millions of pounds for the NHS during the UK’s first lockdown, has been admitted to hospital with coronavirus.
In a tweet from his official account, his daughter, Hannah, said he tested positive last week and was taken to hospital today for help with his breathing.
He is not in intensive care.
She said in a statement that he had been receiving treatment for pneumonia over the last few weeks before his positive COVID test result.
“He was at home with us until today, when he needed additional help with breathing,” she said.
A spokesperson for Captain Sir Tom told Sky News he had not yet been vaccinated because he was being treated for pneumonia.
His daughter added: “The medical care he has received in the last few weeks has been remarkable and we know that the wonderful staff at Bedford Hospital will do all they can to make him comfortable and hopefully return home as soon as possible.
“We understand that everyone will be wishing him well. We are of course focusing on my father and will update you when we are able to.”
- 1979 Pazz & Jop: The Pazz & Jop Critics’ Poll (Almost) Grows Up
- Nashville 50 greatest high school football players of all time
- Most Influential 2018: Meet the top 100 influencers in Orange County
- Detroit News top boys basketball players: New Haven's Romeo Weems is No. 1
- Basketball: McDonald's All Americans from Indiana
- Brewster: Will Lester earns Photographer of the Year in world of motorsports
- Geraint Thomas voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year
- Ever-changing official list of missing persons in Northern California Camp Fire posted; heartbreaking searches continue
- Kimberly Guilfoyle shares a poolside selfie from Mar-a-Lago, calls Trump family ‘patriots’
- MoCo varsity wrestling teams return for another season of grappling
- Notable Iowans, both natives and newcomers, who died in 2018
- Calendar for January 26
- Knox County drug chief's wrecks raise questions about sheriff's policy
- The Essex Reporter Sport Shorts by Joe Gonillo: Christmas wish list
- A decade after Charles Barkley lobbied for him, Turner Gill makes 1st trip to Auburn
- Airport exhibit will honor Pearl Harbor survivor Stratton
- Colorado Springs Airport exhibit will honor local Pearl Harbor survivor
- A year of loss in Arkansas
- Literacy Tests Are Gone, But Voter Suppression Isn't: 'Shut Out,' Episode 1
- 100 Notable Books of 2018
COVID-19: Captain Sir Tom Moore in hospital with coronavirus have 379 words, post on news.sky.com at January 31, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.