Boris Johnson has been told not to raise business taxes in next week’s Budget by Tory MPs in the North – as new Conservative MPs told Sky News they “won’t be here in four years’ time” if he doesn’t deliver funding for major projects. Sky News can reveal Mr Johnson will come under intense pressure to adjust the party’s agenda in favour of northern MPs after they secured fresh funding to lobby for their priorities up to the next election. Number 10 has been informed the Northern Research Group (NRG) secured a six-figure sum to promote their agenda over the needs of more traditional Tory areas. The group’s leader has told Sky News that the prime minister and chancellor “can’t tax our way out” of the debt accumulated during the pandemic, putting them on a collision course with the Treasury which wants to raise business taxes in the Budget . The prime minister is being told to prove his commitment to levelling up with a big spending package from Chancellor Rishi Sunak amid worries that investment in the North of England has yet to begin in earnest 14 months after an election manifesto promise. Advertisement MPs from the so-called Red… Read full this story
- U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson could vote against tax overhaul Tuesday in committee
- Kansas House primary races in Johnson County reflect divided GOP
- Conservative DC group throws money to McGrath’s opponent, 11 other Republicans
- Despite Hand-Wringing, Senate Republicans Push Tax Bill Forward
- Many Republicans Hate A Plan They Will Probably Vote For Just Because They Want To Get Taxes Done
- Former Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson running for U.S. Senate
- Abortion Rights Must Remain On The Government's Agenda Despite DUP Opposition, Labour MP Says
- Senate Republicans Passed A Massive Tax Bill In The Middle Of The Night That They Kept Changing Until The Last Minute
- Raising taxes, selling parks are two ideas to fix Pascagoula’s $14M crisis. Here’s the full list.
- UK parties not giving full picture on likely tax rises: IFS
Conservative MPs in the North call on Johnson and Sunak not to raise business taxes in Budget have 332 words, post on news.sky.com at February 26, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.