BRITAIN’s budding new space force could catapult RAF Typhoon fighter jets to the “edge of space” soon to sabotage enemy satellites, senior military sources have said. Specialised training missions will be held for an elite squad of fighter pilots by Space Command, specifically aimed at overthrowing Chinese and Russian military, intelligence and communication satellites during wartime. The specifically selected “Top Gun” pilots will take part in simulated exercises before embarking on training flights, climbing up to 40,00ft on a 20,000ft vertical climb, The Express revealed. During real-life warfare, Typhoon pilots would deploy anti-satellite (ASAT) missiles at 60,000ft before relinquishing to lower heights. The promising plans come just weeks after Former RAF Typhoon pilot, Air Commodore Paul Godfrey OBE, was announced as the head of the UK’s new Space Command. The new wing of the Armed Forces, originally announced last November, pledges to “protect and promote the United Kingdom’s interests in space, working with like-minded allies around the world for the benefit of all.” Both Russia and China have already created ASAT missiles that can destroy GPS and telecommunication satellites and that are ground, sea, and air-based. Russia have so far shown their spaced-based system that is thought to have been launched from another… Read full this story
- SEE IT: Photos reveal insane interior of Boeing 747-8 VIP, the jet model selected to be new Air Force One
- Montgomery makes top 5 bases for F-35s stealth fighter jets
- Britain Scrambled Fighter Jets to Escort Russian Bombers From Area
- Two 'jokers' arrested after RAF Typhoon fighters divert Pakistani jetliner because of 'angry bomb threats'
- Luke Air Force Base unveils its 1st F-35 fighter jet
- Luke's new F-35 redefines modern warfare
- Luke expands international F-35 training as Norwegian jets arrive at air base
- Obama administration sells $30B worth of fighter jets to Saudi Arabia
- A Ford Mustang painted like a fighter-jet is just one of our top automotive picks for this Fourth of July
- Paris Air Show: F-35 fighter show is gesture to NATO allies, U.S. says
Britain’s new space force ‘could send RAF fighter jets to edge of space’ have 329 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at February 21, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.