A coronavirus variant first detected in Brazil has made its way to the UK as the government tries to contain its spread. The variant is the latest to be detected in the UK as the government hopes to reduce transmission through lockdown measures and the vaccine roll-out. Sky News takes a look at where the new variant was found, whether it is more transmissible than other strains, and if vaccines will work to stop infection. Live COVID updates from the UK and around the world What is the Brazil ‘variant of concern’? Advertisement The variant, called P1, is a branch of the B.1.1.28 lineage that was first detected in Japanese travellers who had visited Brazil, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has said. It has three mutations in its spike protein receptor binding domain. More from UK Immediate review of schools’ safeguarding launched after thousands of students share abuse experiences COVID-19: UK records 43 more coronavirus deaths and 4,052 new cases as vaccine first doses hit 30.9m UK no longer country ‘where system is deliberately rigged against ethnic minorities’, race review says COVID-19: Millions of people told they no longer need to shield from coronavirus COVID news live… Read full this story
- Mandatory vaccines could be introduced in England if officials fail to tackle falling immunisation rates, says Dame Sally Davies
- Don't take vaccines for granted: If we fail to act now, measles will have children 'dropping like flies', says UN expert as Unicef warns parents have 'dropped their guard' against illness
- Reggae stars: UK marks house where Bob Marley lived
- Epstein's 'inner circle' traced to Brazil
- The anti-vax movement gaining momentum in the capital
- Completely merciless
- The death of consensus: how conflict came back to politics
- Monday morning news briefing: Remainers plot Brexit ambush
- 'Make-up is about empowering you to feel confident every day'
- ‘It’s an enormous act of ecological vandalism’: the ancient forests under threat from HS2
Brazil COVID variant: Where in the UK was it found, is it more deadly and do vaccines work against it? have 312 words, post on news.sky.com at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.