US President Donald Trump has discussed the possibility of setting up a new political party after his term ends on Wednesday, people familiar with the matter told the Wall Street Journal. Last week, the outgoing president talked to a number of close aides and allies about forming a new party, which he would like to call the “Patriot Party” in line with his “America First” rhetoric. This comes after several political figures from the Republican Party criticized Trump’s role in instigating the deadly riots at the US Capitol on January 6, which left at least five dead — including one police officer. In his strongest public rebuke of Trump yet, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Tuesday said rioters who attacked the Capitol were “fed lies” and “provoked by the president and other powerful people, and they tried to use fear and violence” in an attempt “to stop and overturn the certification by Congress of Democrat Joe Biden’s November 3 election victory.” Watch video 03:50 What’s next for Trump and the Republican Party? Despite the deepening chasm between Republican leaders and the president, Trump has managed to retain a significant chunk of Republican voters, especially those who weren’t as actively involved… Read full this story
- Ram Gopal Varma Praises Real Star Upendra For Starting His Political Party
- Assam: AASU 4-day general conference begins today; to give final shape to new political party
- Trump Mulls Fresh China Sanctions, Beijing Accuses U.S. of 'Oppressing' Foreign Companies
- Attention Starved Trump May Start 2024 Campaign During Biden’s Inauguration, Report Says
- Lara Trump mulling 2022 Senate run in North Carolina: report
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs launches Black political party, endorses Joe Biden for president
- Flynn's Lawyer Spoke to Trump, Denies Alleged 'Corrupt Political Motive'
- Joe Biden's Georgia win confirmed as Trump stoops to new lows to overturn election
- Mark Cuban Blasts Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ted Cruz for Putting Political Parties Above Needs of Americans
- Farmers Protest: Khattar says political parties backing stir, alleges Khalistani link
WSJ: Trump mulls starting a new political party have 319 words, post on www.dw.com at January 20, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.